Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14519840#post14519840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bradleyj

Right side

IMG_4510.jpg

[/IMG]

I see you have a basket ball in your tank that rivals Marc's toadstool! Bubble coral or frogspawn?

I've been gone from this thread for almost a year (been busy) can some one please give me a quick rundown of what I've missed?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14521634#post14521634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
that's code right there! :lol:

Yeah....but I think it translates to "Melevs 21 day 1,000 gal Upgrade". :lol:

On a related note, there's a 300 gal tank for sale here in town for $1000. AND I DON'T HAVE ANY PLACE TO PUT IT!!!! :sad2: :mad2:

Phil

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14522151#post14522151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by poppin_fresh
I've been gone from this thread for almost a year (been busy) can some one please give me a quick rundown of what I've missed?

Not much. The tank is now 4.5 years old, and I've been dosing vodka for over 7 months to lower nitrate and phosphate. A few posts above, you can see the most recent picture. And if you just jump to the first page of this current split, you can read up on the latest that has transpired.

Wow! Nice huge tank melev! That leather and frogspawn is bigger than my head!
Everything is so nice in a mix reef with huge and small corals. Hope my tank can look as matured as your when is 4 years old :)

By the way, what exactly is the vodka that you dose and how much to dose?

Dun tell me is that vodka that we drink when we go clubbing?
Pardon me for my ignorance.:p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14522151#post14522151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by poppin_fresh

Marc saw snow. (don't remember why but I thought this was a big thing for him)
Marc decided to join the tech community and leave the stone age (iPhone).
Marc broke his Pancreas.

oh and some fish stuff happened somewhere I am sure.

Marc, have you noticed any temperature change trends since installing your manifold? Are your heaters working more frequently?

It is hard to say. Our climate changes are so all over the place, I can't really state one way or another. The tank doesn't get as hot, that's for sure.

I just got off the phone with Sequence about this pump, letting Chris hear the noise himself. They are going to send out a new pump, and I'll ship back this one. That's a very nice resolution, and I kind of wish more manufacturers would do that. Unfortunately, too many people take advantage of that type of system, ruining it for the honest ones.

The A/C repair guy was just out here, yet again. I've made 7 payments (of 60) for my 'wonderful' 16 SEER A/C heat pump. I believe they have been out to fix this one more often than they had with my previously 12 year old piece of crap system! This time it was a freon leak on the coils inside the house, which they have to order from Louisiana. That part will probably be replaced next Monday.

You gotta love "new technology" That is great service from sequence, I'm haveing a terrible time getting ahold of Deltec. I've tried four times today and 4 yesterday and all I get is a recording telling me to leave a message. Tried that, no response. All for a pump that is worthless and expensive. (Aquabee) Gone through my third one in less than 2 yrs now.

Sequence has great service.

i had a Hammerhead pump that failed within hours of going into service. started leaking at the seal. i gave them the SN and a new one was on the way that day.

the took m CC number as collateral but never charged it as i returned the defective one right away.

another satisfied customer.

Good thing because i have four of them running 24/7

i have a new one as backup just in case.

Carl

My backup Dart pump is on loan with another reefer (Lindsey) while she was getting her's fixed. Since she's 1.5 hours away, we are still trying to figure out the most convenient way for me to get that back.

Maybe I'll have her ship it to me. :lol:

I decided even though everything in the tank was doing well, I needed to do a full barrage of tests to see what the numbers actually are. Several were surprisingly off, including salinity. I'm getting that resolved now.

2009_parms.jpg

Salinity was way off, especially after I calibrated my refractometer. I added five gallons of hyper-saline water to start bringing that up, and will probably have to do so each day this week.

Magnesium is a bit lower than I like, so I added about 900ml of RHF's Recipe #2 Magnesium.

PO4 was up, surprisingly. In the next day or so, I'll just treat it with Phosphate Control to knock it back down to 0. I've not used that product since Dec 15th of last year, so the vodka has been working.

Speaking of vokda, Nitrates are finally at 10ppm! This picture isn't ideal, but I took it just the same. Maybe flash-less would have been better.

nitrate_030309.jpg

That's an API kit, I use it and it works fine.

Looks like it's time for another blue-line dose too Marc. :)

Hey Marc,

First, all i have to say is Holy mother of pearl, your reef is an aquatic inspiration and the quintessence of the reef keeping hobby! I've used your site probably hundreds of times for when i needed an idea, or needed to solve a problem, and time and time again your experience proves to be life-saving! :D Definitely my favorite reef tank!

So, now that i'm done worshiping your tank, yes, i would agree that the 5ppm is darker than the 10ppm.

I have the same kind of test kit, and it's definitely darker. Don't worry, API isn't out to get you :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back