Mentor

Tank looks great and so do your parameters. Try to get the alk stable. Strange that it swings that much with kalk dosing. Kalk ATO keeps my sps system rock stable. Dosing 2 part may be a better choice or a Ca Rx as DjScibbity said. You have good lighting and a good skimmer. The only thing I saw that I did not like to much is the small of the sump compared to the tanks size. I would have suggested a 75G sump for a 200-250g display tank. Skimmer is a good skimmer. You may want to increase flow if you are planning to add sps to the tank. Other than that welcome to Reef Central and Frag.

thanks for all the great advice! It helps us alot to get all the input from more experienced aquarists! Will talk to my husband about the CA reactor and the swings. As far as our pH it stays rock solid at 8.0-8.1; we have been wondering if the flow is affecting the corals negatively

also we were wondering if when we introduce the corals if we should start low and gradually move them higher instead of putting them at the top of the tank first. Thanks for all the great help!

You really can't have too much flow, unless your tank is a constant sandstorm or if your LPS tissue can't stay connected to the skeleton. :)

Corals are pretty good about adjusting themselves to higher flow than what they're used to. It might take a few days however.

As to where to place the coral initially, depends on the species and also what kind of light they were under previously.

I would second the notion of considering adding a calcium reactor.

What do you use now for Ca/Alk? A two part solution, or?

I always try to place corals under similar lighting levels from the tank they came from. Sps generally want higher light and can be acclimated to high light if done right (slowly) lps and softies generally like mid to lower light.

Currently just dosing with Kalk and baking soda to assist with the alk. The Ca is not a problem it runs high anyway. Right now on the fence of going full 2 part or Ca reactor. Anyone have a cheap Ca reactor suitable for a 220? or suggestions on what would be suitable for our needs? Thanks again

Kalk is an calcium and alk supplement. You need only to adjust your kalk dose to match your alk usage. Don't reach for a really high alk of 9, 10, or 11. Instead make your goal having stable numbers between 7-11. Make any changes slowly. Do you have an ATO?

Right now on the fence of going full 2 part or Ca reactor.

If Kalk dosing is not keeping up with the tank's alkalinity usage then I think you have come to the right conclusion. There are benefits and drawbacks to both of these delivery systems and you will need to determine what works best for you. I use a 2 part in my SPS reef.

If you have not already read Randy Holmes Farley's articles on Alk/Ca usage in reef aquariums then I suggest you do. His article can be found in the reef chemistry forum.

Welcome to Reef Central and FRAG!!

I started using 2-part, then went CA reactor and that was the best decision I ever made. 2-part is such a PITA in my opinion and once a CA reactor is dialed in, you pretty much NEVER have to touch it - just refill media very seldom. Long run the CA reactor is WAY cheaper too. Plus, having a 20lb C02 bottle, regulator, and CA reactor make for interesting conversation pieces when people dont know what they are for :)

-JP

Back