Merits of refugiums for nano reefs?

sl-atl

This is a "why" rather than a "how-to" question...

I can use the limited space at the back of our 28g nano for either an upgraded HOB skimmer, or a HOB refugium. A lot of nano folks seem to go for the latter, but I'm a little skeptical of the water treatment benefits. (I don't care too much about growing more copepods. )

Is a 2 gallon refugium (my calculation of the amount of water a converted power filter will hold) filled with macroalgae and sediment, with a water change rate of more than 100+ gpm (based on the filter literature) really effective in improving a 20-30 gallon system's water chemistry?

I couldn't find any articles with actual data for systems of this size, so any opinions/experiences/or especially studies would be much appreciated!

-Stuart

The benefit of growing macroalgae is in related to the amount you feed the tank, since it is the nutrients from foods that you typically want to export.

So a 2 gallon refugium on a 28 gallon tank (with appropriate lighting) may be just as useful as a 20 gallon refugium on a 280 gallon tank.

That said, my refugia have more surface area than do my main tanks, as well as pretty intense lighting for growing macroalgae. I think that if you want refugia to be a primary export method, you may need proportions on that order.

Thanks Randy! The concept of a 20 refugium for a 280 gallon system seems less realistic to me than 2:28.

I'd be interested if anyone else has an opinion, since there seem to be a -lot- of HOB 'fuges out there. Not that I'll take it more seriously than I do Randy's. ;)

I run a 50 gallon fuge on a 30 gallon tank. I made the fuge a display because i enjoy studying that as much as the main display!

I have an 8 gallon nano at work. The middle section growes cheato. ZERO nitrates.

Back