mesh or fishing line?

frags75

Thinking about doing a mod on the octopus 1000. This is for the DNW110 recirc. I thought I read on here about using fishing line tied around the needles instead of using mesh. Anyone done this or have a suggestion? What do you think is the better way to go?

Second for enkamat. They sell it on ebay.
Be careful and start with a small amount, and use a kill a watt meter. I bought a kill a watt meter and dwyer meter, and still fried my octo 2000. Now i'm leaving it stock.

Fishing line is a good mod but not as good as mesh. The only problem with the mesh mod is that if you mess it up you need to get a new impeller so be careful.

I'm talking about criss crossing the line over the wheel. I know I seen it on here but cant find it. It seems to me that the line is lighter than the mesh and will have less chance of throwing it out of balance or causing overheating.

Been using my fishing line on my NW-150 for about a year or so and no problems so far. I didnt like the idea of hacking up my impeller. It works fine, prob not as good as enkmat but still good enough i think.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11632911#post11632911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by netboy
Been using my fishing line on my NW-150 for about a year or so and no problems so far. I didnt like the idea of hacking up my impeller. It works fine, prob not as good as enkmat but still good enough i think.

if you have the white impeller, you could pop off the needles. And if you want to go back to stock, put it back on. Though i figured this out after i cut the needles off, but its ok :).

Well I decided I wanted more out of skimmer so I "tried" to add some enkamat. I ended up cutting off one set of needles and pretty much hacking up my impeller pretty good. I cant tell a difference so far other than the pump will not restart on its own without me blowing into the airline. Guess I have another day of hacking away to try to get it fixed.

I wish I took a picture of how I tied the fishing line. But it was nothing special. I just tied a knot around one needle then started weaving the line in and out of the other needles working my way inside to out. when I was done i just tied it off to another needle.

I am starting to regret hacking up my stuff because I suck at DIY stuff.

Back