messed up on the tank drilling

If you fill it up please, please, please make sure you have a video camera pointed at the tank side with the crack on a continous record setting. This way when you post it we can :rollface:. J/K.

Please replace the tank.

I had a 90 gal once with a crack. I siliconed a piece of glass over the crack all was good! Till one morning I got up and found all my fish in about an inch of water and a huge mess in the back room. I don't think I would do that again. It was a costly mistake on my part. Good luck with what ever you decide to do!!!

Carl

that is true....however that's what drilling the hole is attempting to do. The reason cracks propagate is because there is a very high stress concentration at the tip (tiny, tiny radius). By drilling a hole at the end of the crack, you are eliminating the stress concentration site and replacing it with a very large radius which usually will not propogate. All that said, I don't think I would trust a tank that has/had a crack in it. There will be thousands of dollars of livestock inside.

Can you make a bigger hole and use a bigger bulkhead to cut out the section with the crack? For example 1" becomes a 2" bulkhead. I had to do that on a 30, but the crack only went out about 1/2 " from the original hole.

Dont trust it there no way to fix it right with out replacing the glass, Or being able to cut the hole bigger, and cuting the hole crack out. You will be sorry if you set it up and dont do it right..............

Back