messed up on the tank drilling

madadi

ReefOG
so i drilled both holes in the new tank and when i was almost done with the second hold, i don't know what happened but there was a small crack going away from the second hole. crack is about 2inches no more. its not going toward the other hole. i filled it up and its not leaking. is the tank still safe to use? i was thinking to get some glass or acrylic with the same size hole in it. put it over the hole with the bulkhead trough and seal up the crack real good. as long as i don't bang the tank around while its being moved i think it should be ok. i don't plan to stack up rocks against the back either. i don't know if that will make a difference though.

Good luck,i know it's not the same,but i drilled a 20H 1/4 thick for a 3/4 Bulkhead and it cracked maybe 1/2inch long,filled it with fresh water and no leaks,then i put 5inch sandbed and 25# LR rubble,9days later the crack is 5 inches long or so,and i'm getting nasty salt buildups,so i am gonna try another tank before it totally gives up.Wish ya luck,150gallons is alotta water.

it is the 150gal. talk about a nice birthday presents. yesterday my rim cracked from the car, today my tank. its half inch thick glass i figured it might hold.

With some materials you can stop a crack by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack. This will work with glass, but drilling the hole at the end of the crack w/out making things worse could be difficult.

Disclaimer: I have never drilled glass and know nothing about drilling aquariums. But if I were in your situation, I would not be comfortable with a crack unless I could stop it by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack.

Good luck!

-hank

thats a good idea. ill try the small hole at the end. and put a sheet over on both sides to seal the crack.

I would really think about trying to fix it...think about how much time and money you are going to be putting into tank. Risking it for a couple hundred bucks doesn't seem worth it. Good luck either way.

Money is tight for everyone, so I understand your reasoning for wanting to fix it. It is in your house and had no bearing on me other than not wanting to read a thread about 150 gals of water, 200lbs of rock 200 lbs of sand and all livestock are residing ON your XXX room floor. Sit down for a couple minutes, take some deep breaths and then put an honest figure together of what it will take to replace ALL livestock as well as filing an insurance claim after you have 150 gals on the floor. I absolutely guarantee you a tank comes out much much much cheaper.

just turn it in to the sump amnd start fresh. that way you are not just scraping the tank all together. thats what i would do. good luck

that's way too much work i think.

ill try the counter hole thing. ill keep the tank in the back yard full of water for a week or two and see what happens. if i can tap the glass with a hammer and the crack wont get any bigger, im in the safe zone.

hankb, thanks for the suggestion.

ill be done with school in a year, i can rebuild it all, new everything.
the tank is in the basement anyway, no carpet around it lol

First didnt you get the tank for free? So really is it costing you anything ? Sell it for 40-50 bucks as a sump and buy a new one on here RC that isnt cracked. You will never have piece of mind knowing at anytime that pane of glass could shatter when you AREN'T home and you would be SOL, wishing you'd have replaced it . Believe me I would be bummed too, but the risk reward is know where near worth it , we all know the tanks are not the expensive part of this hobby but they are the foundation.

i payed 350 for tank and stand.

ill keep an eye out for a use 150gal tall. trust me, if i see a good deal, ill take it.

i agree with cobra ... for me its hard enough to leave for a long weekend im worried that something might go wrong with my tank but to have a cracked tank with all live stock rock and sand the water pressure will eventualy put so much stress on the weakened glass and few $1000 will end up on your floor ....spend the extra $$$$ do it right the first time...from my experience cuting corners in this hobby doesnt work in the long run in this hobby

Back