messed up when I added sand

sugarbaker

So, in a spontanious act of stupidity, I added sugar size sand to my currently cycling tank and failed to turn the pumps off to let the sand settle. I should know better, but have never used sand of this grain size before. It has, after a day or so, settled... on everything including my sump, fuge and tank walls, live rock etc. Is there any way to get this cleaned up without having to drain the tank (everytime I wipe it off a surface it creates a similar cloud, although less intense)?

Also, my skimmer is, as expected overflowing with foam when I run it, even after the dust has settled. Any ideas as to when I'll be able to run my skimmer again without it acting up? It's Euroreef 5-2, and I have the output set as low as it can go, which is actually below the water level in the sump. (because of space constraints, I can't raise the skimmer up at all). Well, thanks in advance for any advice!

Stephen

Or, wait a few days for a layer of bacteria to grow so that it tends to stick together better, and then use clean paper towels to wipe the surfaces off. Eventually, your snails would clean it off, but I understand that in the meantime, it looks like hell.

thanks for the advice. I am in no hurry, as the tank is still cycling. Does anyone know when I might be able to use my skimmer again? As of this evening it foams up so fast that it fills the collection cup with water (dirty yes) but clearly not working as it should.

depending on your skimmer, you may be able to lower the bubble level enough that you can use it now and adjust the level higher again later.

get a valve for the air intake on your skimmer and turn back the air some to make it work till things settle down

Back