Metal Halide Light Fixture Failed. Probably a Ballast Issue. Looking for Advice!

zimmertr

I've had this light fixture running on my tank for a few months now and a few days ago I went downstairs to check on my tank in the morning and the ballast was making a buzzing noise like a high voltage power line.

The bulb was still illuminated, though, and there was no flickering or anything. I unplugged it for the day and then the next morning I tried it again and the light will no longer turn on. The 4 T5 bulbs that are also in the fixture still work, just not the metal halide bulb.

The ballast itself has an illuminated toggle switch when it is on which still works.. So I guess the ballast just failed somehow? Or perhaps the bulb burned out? I doubt the bulb died, though, since the color temperature never changed and it is only about 2 and a half months old. (Running 8hrs/day)

Would it be an easy repair to fix this ballast? If not, what options do I have for replacing this ballast? I'm not really sure what to look for. < $60 would be nice. I understand if that cannot be achieved, though.

Looks like its a external, the site you have listed has replacement ones for $69.95

With a bit of work( wiring) you could upgrade ballast to a lumatek or galaxy brand ballast.

Back