Metal halide reflectors

andrewbram

So my tank deminsion are 84Lx24wx36tall. Rock scape is set up with 2 islands sps is my jam. I attempted to read through 1600 post to find my answer but brain turned into mush.

Basically I am having a hard time getting enough par to the bottom. I am running 2x 400 watt radium on lumen max reflectors(22x22) and p in r measurement on mq510 at 24 inch down are starting to be a little to weak for my liking.

I have a lumenbrite large laying around and retook measurements and was pleasantly surprised by the increased par however it is still not as high as I would like.

Has anyone used the lumenbrite large and the lumenbrite mini wide. If so do you see about the same par. My thought is I need to be able to run couple t5 as well in order to hit my goal. If I run the large I wont have the room.

All responses are appreciated

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you're looking for maximum intensity, I would take a look at Lumenmax Elite's. They're like laser beams.

http://saltycritter.com/lighting/su...lite-mogul-metal-halide-pendant-reflector.htm

I have some basically new in box just in case I decide to switch back to halide someday. They don't make them anymore as far as I know. Been thinking about selling some of them though.

They put out a very intense circle of light with a pretty steep drop off outside the intense zoom. Tight concentration of high par vs. spread out lower par.

Lumen Bright mini's would probably work better with a smaller foot print of 16 x 16 or the hamilton pendant. But either way you need a 3 not 2 MH on a 7' tank.

Lumen Bright mini's would probably work better with a smaller foot print of 16 x 16 or the hamilton pendant. But either way you need a 3 not 2 MH on a 7' tank.
I would tend to agree but I am only trying to light up 2 rock structures. The middle of the tank is open and barren for the foreseeable future. I do have led to supplement just for the viewing.

What is the par reading that you are getting?
On the sand 85. 30 inches 160. 12 inches 350. Bulb is 16 off water as suggested for lumenbrite large. The lumen max reflector is 190 12 inches under water.

36 inches would be a challenge for most any bulb. If you are getting good spread you might try lowering the bulbs to about 12 AWL.

36 inches would be a challenge for most any bulb. If you are getting good spread you might try lowering the bulbs to about 12 AWL.
I will try and test that today. Hopefully lowering will still spread over the. Needed rock structures.

Radium 20k don't have high par to begin with. May be switch to 14k to get higher par

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radium 20k don't have high par to begin with. May be switch to 14k to get higher par

I have also considered this. Any recommendations on bulb that may work well for my application. I have always been a t5 guy. M135 ballast is what I am using if that helps.

I have double end halide and I use Phenix 14k it's the best bulb by far for growth and looks

36 inches is DEEP! I have a 30 inch deep tank with a 400 watt 65K bulb and a Spider light reflector. I grow seagrasses. In my experience, 55-65K bulbs are brighter than the bluer stuff. So you may want to try that, and supplement with t5 or LEDs for the blue.

Also consider a very deep sand bed and/or tall rock work to get your corals located where they get enough PAR. Keeping your water super clear also helps, so you may want to use activated carbon.

36 inches is DEEP! I have a 30 inch deep tank with a 400 watt 65K bulb and a Spider light reflector. I grow seagrasses. In my experience, 55-65K bulbs are brighter than the bluer stuff. So you may want to try that, and supplement with t5 or LEDs for the blue.

Also consider a very deep sand bed and/or tall rock work to get your corals located where they get enough PAR. Keeping your water super clear also helps, so you may want to use activated carbon.
Thank you for this. I have found the lumen brite large reflectors have a nice punch. I do have 4 radion xr15 pro to supplement however they are turned down so that they slowly get brighter. I was hoping someone had the lumen brite mini wides that could provide some insight if they will work because the mini wides will allow to add some t5 as well. Do you run blues with the 65k bulbs. Is the look ok or is it still really yellow. I will attach a picture so people can see where I want the light.
706057a50fb30b2199f0fbd4b32b628e.jpg

Are you in Colorado. I just looked and you might be next door maybe I could buy a used bulb from you to test. Just a thought.

My tank is set up to mimic a very shallow seagrass lagoon with bright sunlight, so no, you wouldn't like it. Just one metal halide light to light a 5 1/2 foot tank, so that one end is dimmer for lower light plants. I do have a little blue added to the dimmer end of the tank to simulate depth, and to provide transition light at dusk and dawn.

Back