mh lighting DE vs SE

mark54321

Hi everybody,i am thinking to upgrade to a bigger tank and will go with new lighting system, 2 lumen bright reflectors 250w + 2 pc 65w,tank will be Marineland cube 36x36x27.My question is what's better DE bulbs or SE bulbs?

my belief is that the single end will give a more dispersed light and double will be more direct???

DE sometimes has more par due to a focused light, they are smaller and take less space, they only work on a ballast made for them, they require a UV shield.

SE is more widely available, much more types of bulbs to choose from, wider light spread, more ballasts types will works with them, does not require a UV shield,

I am sure I forgot some things.

after using both types I would stick with single end bulbs if your just going to have a canopy to put them in. I have a fixture and so I use double end phoenix bulbs now which are great bulbs, but there are way more choices in bulbs in single end. And like it was said already single end are WAY easier to change out.

thank you everybody,next question,will my new icecap ballast electronic work with SE bulbs or do I have to buy a different model?

thank you everybody,next question,will my new icecap ballast electronic work with SE bulbs or do I have to buy a different model?

Icecap will drive any bulb you want SE or DE. What do you plan on doing for lighting? I have the same tank dimensions and was able to use a single 400W in a full sized Luminarc reflector. I tried a 250 first but couldn't get enough light to the edges of the tank. If I stayed with 250's I would have needed 2-4 bulbs to light the tank.

Why not use the New Lumatek 400W Dimmable Ballast (Runs DE & SE, 250W and 400W bulbs, how awesome is that)?

You can set it to 250W and if you run a DE bulb you turn it to 275W or if you want to overdrive the SE you can do that as well.

I would consider running a 400W with a Large Lumenarc to light your 36 X 36 Tank.

If you go with the 400W as suggested, you could just turn the knob to 400W and change your bulb to a 400W bulb and your done. (didnt have to buy another ballast).

scoots how high is your reflector from the water level? Is there enough light for sps?

My bulb is about 11" off the water to get good spread. My tank is SPS dominant so yes plenty of light for SPS anywhere in the tank. PAR levels running an 400W XM 10K with an Apogee meter are about 600, 400, 300, and 240 under the bulb at 6", 12", 18", and the sandbed under water. At 18" depth where the PAR is about 300 in the center it is about 240 or 250 near the outer areas of the tank at the same depth.

Back