MH Lighting (obvious beginner question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine

I know absolutely nothing about metal halide lighting. I currently have four VHO tube on my 75 gal reef. I'm seriously considering buying a used 180 gal and transferring all my corals into that. Then I'm going to put a trigger in my 75. Anyway, I don't know what to get as far as metal halide lighting goes. I've been checking out mail order places, and I think that maybe I want the 175 watt triple PFO retro kit. I don't know what it is, but it seems appropriate. Also, should I also have a couple VHO actinics on the tank? If anyone knows anything that could possibly help, please feel free to reply. I would be most grateful.

$ for $, the PFO 400W 6500K Iwasaki dual M59 ballasts comes out ahead. For $300 it's a great deal, and the long term cost (bulb replacement cost and intensity drop) make it a clear winner in the long run. The amount of light can't be beat, you just have to know how to dissipate the heat properly. FWIW - high wattage halides can be run without chillers - evaporative cooling with small fans works with the right setup...

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/FriscoReef/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back