MH or T5 for a 210 gallon tank

DrHank

I'm in the process of setting up a 96X24X21.5 tall 210 gallon reef tank. I'm thinking of 4 - 150w or 175w MH retro's. I already have 4 - 54w T5 Finnex fixture (that has been doing fine on my 110 gallon) and could add another four to six T5's. My reef is mixed LPS and softies with a few easy SPS thrown in for good measure.

I'd appreciate your opinion. I must also say that I do miss the shimmer of MH (you don't get that with T5s. Also, what about a mix of T5s with MH.

David Grigor

Registered Member
Premium Member
Most 6' tanks it doesn't really make sense to do T5s becuase of the number of bulbs required compared to MH. However, on a 8' tank you have the luxary of using 48" bulbs end to end and can make that more economical to run than 4 MH. Doing a nice retro ( don't know how good finnex relfectors perform ), I'd have no problem doing T5s on the size tank you describe. Also with retro, you can start out with 2 sets of 4 and can always add more rows as your real estate for SPS/acros increases ( if ever ).

My personal tastes, I really could care less about shimmer lines so can't offer any help there....

gasman059

The OG mad scientist
Re: MH or T5 for a 210 gallon tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9860693#post9860693 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrHank
I'm in the process of setting up a 96X24X21.5 tall 210 gallon reef tank. I'm thinking of 4 - 150w or 175w MH retro's. I already have 4 - 54w T5 Finnex fixture (that has been doing fine on my 110 gallon) and could add another four to six T5's. My reef is mixed LPS and softies with a few easy SPS thrown in for good measure.

I'd appreciate your opinion. I must also say that I do miss the shimmer of MH (you don't get that with T5s. Also, what about a mix of T5s with MH.
OK doc here's d deal- I'm not a t5 fan, so why even bother setting up a tank over 200 gallons with tons of space if u r not using MHS. I run 3x400w 20 k MH's with actinic supps. my advice is use your existing t5 as supps(actinic) and retrofit 3 mh's. Eventually u will need them so wht not do it right from the get go.;)

eddie c

exactly what gasman said, then you'd have the best of both worlds, i was running t5's over my 75g and really missed the shimmer from the halides so my current set up is halide/t5 combo and i would do a minimum of 250w halides.

aninjaatemyshoe

Considering that you are placing only a few SPS in the tank, you might get away with just buying 2 MHs and using T5s as supplement. Just place the SPS under the MHs.