MH or T5

evoracer

Or stick with my PC's? My 180 will soon be reborn, and I am considering upgrading lighting. It is likely to be zoa/ric. florida dominated, but I would like to leake the door open for SPS maybe in the future.
Also joining it will be a new zoa/ric prop tank. Any light input on this tank also?
TIA

To save space you could go with MH's. If you want to reduce heat, save space and not buy a chiller then go with T5s... although it is possible to run MHs without a chiller. Both are suitable for SPS; as long as you have the right amount of T5s. With T5s individual reflectors are highly recommended. As long as you have enough room T5s could be a good choice. I don't have much space in my canopy so I went MHs and also got my system at a great price thanks to a generous reefer.

i just switched back from t5's to halides, i missed the shimmer lines and the overall look of them, i would try to see a few tanks with t5's and halides then make your decision.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9869048#post9869048 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hebdo27
MH all the way.....it keeps all your options open!

Exactly which options do T5s take away?

Thats what I would like to know! I do love the shimmer, but probably don't want to run a chiller unless I really have to.

I run 2x250mhs on a 58, and dont even come close to needign a chiller. If you're having heat problems, take a look at your pumps, as theyre much more likely to cause temperature issues than your lights.

That being said, theres pretty much nothing you can't keep with T5s.

Back