Micro abrasions on acrylic from using algae pad

Zalick

My reef tanks my wallet
I used an acrylic pad to clean my acrylic for the first time. It left micro abrasions. You cant see them from a distance but you can see up close. is this just what happens when you clean acrylic?

In the two months I've had the acrylic setup, I've only cleaned the panes 3 times. I used my finger tips to lightly dust off the panes and it worked perfectly without any abrasions. This time I cleaned one panel with the acrylic pad and noticed the micro abrasions.

Did you use a pad specifically for acrylic aquariums?

This is one major downside to acrylic tanks.. They do scratch very easily even with products "supposedly" intended for them..

1: Switch to using Mr. Clean magic eraser pads. Totally acrylic safe. The regular ones, no soaps or scents.

2: Assuming this is on the inside of the tank, you can probably take care of those minor scratches with some 8000 grit wet sandpaper. Micro-Surface sells a nice kit: http://micro-surface.com/index.php/...nd-kits/acrylic-aquarium-restoration-kit.html

Thanks Zach! Picking up some magic erasers today. The swirls are on the inside. Standing a foot away you can't see them due to the refraction factor of the acrylic but if you get right up close you can. I was surprised that a pad designed for acrylic would cause these swirls...

1: Switch to using Mr. Clean magic eraser pads. Totally acrylic safe. The regular ones, no soaps or scents.

Wow, the magic eraser is the real deal! These work so well! I took one and cut it in to 4 slices per another post I read. Worked so well and no swirling micro scratches at all. It even buffed out the swirls to make them a little less noticable.

Thanks for the advice!

Sent using Tapatalk

Back