Microalgae Growth Question

Reefers4U

Reefers4U
Registered Member

I am noticing that my tank is unusually clean.

There is no detritus anywhere, the sand looks nice but I am also unable to grow nice hair algae in the system to cover rocks and epoxied places.

My lights are on 13 hours a day and I started a little heavier feeding then normal to see if I can spur a growth cycle.

Might I have an Iron problem?? Or what is the deal? There seems to be some limiting factor that is effecting the tank as the corals don't seem to grow as fast as some of my other tanks in the past.

Params have been verified - they are within normal specs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Reefers4U
Registered Member

I am noticing that my tank is unusually clean.

There is no detritus anywhere, the sand looks nice but I am also unable to grow nice hair algae in the system to cover rocks and epoxied places.

My lights are on 13 hours a day and I started a little heavier feeding then normal to see if I can spur a growth cycle.

Might I have an Iron problem?? Or what is the deal? There seems to be some limiting factor that is effecting the tank as the corals don't seem to grow as fast as some of my other tanks in the past.

Params have been verified - they are within normal specs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone
Umm is it april fools day??

You're the only person I've ever seen on this forum complaining how "unusually clean" their tank is and wants to find out how to grow hair algae? LOL, may as well grow bubble algae and aptasia too while you're at it.

The real question can you please tell about your tank so we can all benefit from your set up. What tank, skimmer, flow, refug or not. What type of water and salt do you use and how ofter do you do water changes. A list of what you have stocked and pictures would also be greatly appreciated too.

This is of course if this is not a joke.

Best wishes

you may be running the lights too often i know zoos wont grow with that amount of light because the zoo gel stuff becomes too oxygenated and it will pretty much limit all growth of the zoo.. so try tuning down ur light cycle..

HA! No. I'm serious. As crazy at it sounds. A little controlled microalgae growth can be at good source of nutrient export.

My tank is a 90gal. I've got a small HOB Ref and a skimmer (under rated). I never do water changes, only top offs which I, depending on the gravity, either mix with Tropic Marin or not.

Will try to put pictures up today.

My tank is lightly stocked as of now with just a paired clown couple, PBT and some shrimps. I've got about 6 pieces of SPS and some other LPS corals in there as well. Those seem to be doing ok

Back