Micron Bag Cleaning Procedure?

Itchy Trigger

Up till now I've been using 100 micron filter bags on one of my tanks and simply replacing them when they clogged. However, I'm realizing this is quite wasteful, and would like to start cleaning and reusing the bags... I've read that you can wash them and reuse, and I've read about people putting them in the washing machine, etc., but wanted to get some input on what you guys think is best. I do laundry in my building's basement and have no idea what kind of detergents folks are using and what residuals might be in the machines... Not sure this matters though, as I guess you can rinse the bags in freshwater afterwards... I've read soaking in sodium thiosulphate works to remove bleach residue... Anyhow, what would you guys recommend as a good cleaning procedure for these felt bags?

I turn the bags inside out and run a rinse cycle with a cap full of bleach. Then another rinse cycle with just water to rinse the bleach out. After that I hang them up to let them dry out. Seems to be working so far.

I turn the bags inside out and run a rinse cycle with a cap full of bleach. Then another rinse cycle with just water to rinse the bleach out. After that I hang them up to let them dry out. Seems to be working so far.

No need to worry about any residual detergent in the machine?

I run my filter socks through the washing machine and have seen no evidence of soap residue.

If you don't trust the washing machine you could turn the sock inside out and wash with pressurized water

I use the large felt socks that BRS sells ( 200 micron)

I simply wash in the machine on HOT with plain unscented bleach.
I was rinsing them afterwards in a solution of dechlorinator (prime) before hanging them out to dry but now I simply leave them on the line for a day or two.

Seems to work fine, no issues. I use the 200micron socks.

Could always run a rinse/clean cycle before in the washer without any detergent and let it flush anything you might be worried about out.

Back