Midas blenny

mavl666

I picked up a midas blenny Saturday. It shot into the rocks and I have not seen it since. Should I be concerned. It is in with the following:

1 large hippo tang
2 large PJ cardinals
1 damsel, blue with yellow tail
1 small atlantic tang, added Friday
1 medium lemon peel angel, added Saturday

All housed in a 75g reef tank. have sump, skimmer, carbon and GFO reactors.

Thanks

C0rp

I'm sure its stressed, especially since it wasn't QT'd. They are very slow to acclimate and is probably just hiding.

Madjamey

Mine went into hiding for the first week , it only stuck it's head out to eat. Now it comes all the way out to eat , but still spends it's time in a hole in the rock. Occasionally it will be seen swimming about the tank.

mavl666

Thanks for the replies. The tank has a cover and I checked the floor anyway and didn't see it.

I got it from a very reliable source which is why I did not quarantine it.

C0rp

Mine likes to perch on the highest rock in the tank. He also enjoys swimming in place against the powerhead current, lol he's so funny I love my midas blenny!

gweston

Awesome fish. They can be a tad skittish initially, but once they settle down they are rather calm and inquisitive. Mine perches and watches me whenever I'm around. When I come home from work, it darts towards me, sometimes knocking it's head on the glass trying to get to me. Hilarious.

Mine is a pig, and it seems usual behavior. Loves to eat and can pack down a heck of a lot more than my Occ clowns.

I have done fine with just an eggcrate tank cover... they do swim around the surface with their eyes poking up. When new to the tank, my midas inspected every corner of the tank, including above water. So maybe this is why they are jumpers.. trying to get somewhere probably. Mine hasn't tried jumping at all thankfully, or at least I have never seen/heard an attempt. The up and coming new large tank has a 1/4" screen cover. Far less likely for escapes that way.

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
Mine was very timid for the first 3 days. Now, during the day he is almost always out swimming looking and goes crazy for food. Very fun to watch

Catchoftheday

Awesome fish. They can be a tad skittish initially, but once they settle down they are rather calm and inquisitive. Mine perches and watches me whenever I'm around. When I come home from work, it darts towards me, sometimes knocking it's head on the glass trying to get to me. Hilarious.

Mine is a pig, and it seems usual behavior. Loves to eat and can pack down a heck of a lot more than my Occ clowns.

I have done fine with just an eggcrate tank cover... they do swim around the surface with their eyes poking up. When new to the tank, my midas inspected every corner of the tank, including above water. So maybe this is why they are jumpers.. trying to get somewhere probably. Mine hasn't tried jumping at all thankfully, or at least I have never seen/heard an attempt. The up and coming new large tank has a 1/4" screen cover. Far less likely for escapes that way.

Thats so funny you say that about your darting over to you mine do the same thing i have a midas blenny and a african blue midas blenny it so fun to watch them

Attachments

• Photo0198.jpg
    Photo0198.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo0246.jpg
    Photo0246.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0

charleneatkins

My midas was shy for a couple of days. He made himself a home in the LR and likes to poke around. He's in a 28 bowfront with a pr of clowns and dottyback.