mineral accretion vs. aragocrete

kaskiles

I searched a bit on the mineral accretion technology and came to the conclusion that it probably would just make a mess in a reef display tank.

But it did seem like an interesting way to create near net shapes of calcium carbonate. Basically setup the anode/cathode in an isolated tank, allow the process to run until no further mineral deposition is noticeable and then disconnect the power and move into a display tank. Something that hopefully wouldn't have all the pH stability issues of the aragocrete/cement structures.

Do you guys know if someone has tried this deposition process to just produce a structure for a tank; maybe with specialized water chemistry (instead of IO salt mix, just some of the 2-3 part mix constituents)?

I don't know enough to comment much, but I wouldn't want to leave a metal wire in a closed tank, so that'd be one major issue for me. That's an interesting technique, and it might be fun to try.

pretty cool techique.... instead of metal wire you could try graphite I know it is a conductor, however don't know if it is reef safe.... should be, because really it is just another form of carbon.

There's be no problem with graphite in a tank, but I do not know if it is conductive enough for this application.

Overall, I'd guess this idea to be way more trouble than its worth. :D

Back