Mini nano refugium LED lighting question

Asterix

Hello m8s!

I know this may not be the most appropriate section for the question, but I haven't had much luck posting in other areas of RC. This is my first time using LEDs, and I have next to no knowledge about them.

I'm looking for a waterproof LED lighting solution for a VERY small refugium (approximately half gallon sized). I plan on growing a small cluster of cheato on reverse lighting schedule to the main tank (main tank is approximately 3 gallons and will be lit by rapid led lighting).

What I would like to do is buy one of those cheap waterproof LED strings in cool white color (I have posted a link to the exact product I'm thinking of below) and cut it down to size. I may only use 3 or 4 bulbs total, and perhaps order a different smaller sized string. I realize these lights are very low intensity, and have next to no value when growing corals.

They are however waterproof, cheap, and I'm guessing (this is where I need your help) suitable for growing macro algae. I've seen older threads where people have tried to use these to grow corals, so I know collectively there is someone out there who can comment of the viability of this type of a setup for a low light refugium. Any ideas or alternative product recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
-Asterix

Link to the cheap string lights

http://cgi.ebay.com/White-LED-Rope-...141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef7638e15

Back