Minimum Lighting

AGM1

Whats the minimum lighting needed for a 24 inch tall tank? I have currently selected some light fixtures, but I think they may not be powerful enough.

My tank is 60 inches long, and has two open areas for lights that are 24 inches long. As mentioned before, the tank is also 24 inches deep. So, I could choose 2 24 inch fixutures, or 1 60 inch fixture. The ones I am currently looking at are 96 watts (10k, and 460 nm) and, as they are 24 inches long, there would be two of these. So, total wattage is 192 watts, but per surface area its only 96.

Any help would be great. Can anybody reccomend a 60 inch t5 that doesnt have MH? I dont want to deal with the excess heat. Tek lights look nice, but I can only find 48 inch. Thanks

I am not an expert, you will get alottt better advice than what I can give you, but, lol, as you are posting in the SPS section of this forum. If you are wanting to have SPS corals in your tank and you are wanting to get lights for your tank, I would get the MH lights, I have a 125g tank with a canopy and the heat issue is really no problem. I have seen post asking about T5 lighting for SPS corals and people saying you can grow this sps with T5 lighting but not this one, get the MH and not worry about it, grow anything you want. I think if you start down the SPS road, there is no turning back and you will end up needing the MH before its done, so its best to just start off with them. JMO

Since im needing two 24 inch fixtures, would it look wierd to get one t5 fixture and one mh? That way i can cut down on heat and cost, and get both looks. Im just wondering if it would be wierd with two different lighting.

I would recommend all T5's. The TEK light is only availlable in 48" I have SPS and LPS under t5's and the color is better than what I have seen under Halides. I have a slower growth rate than other people I know but I think it is my bulb selection not the type of light.

+1^^ I used Reefgeek.com too and it was the best purchase I think I have made so far. I went with a 6 bulb 80w (thats 60") retro kit by aquaillumination. It looks amazing and I am getting very good growth already and its only been about a month.

Back