Miracle Mud?

While it does have benefits over sand, it is expensive, must be changed out frequently and can make a huge mess of your tank if it is disturbed. You can still have tremendous success with a simple live sand refugium.

Miracle mud is simply a grunge that is literally removed from a deep bed of sombodys giant sump to create a cryptic zone for filtration and breakdown of excess junk from your dt. Thereby turning it into more mud. One of the benefits includes coralline spores and pods.

IMO unless you are starting a cycle or a new reef, miracle mud is so not the way to go.

If you want to rebuild a fuge. Check out garf.org. They sell a refugium package that is out of this world!! Includes all kinda of critters and is very reasonably priced. They will quite often throw in a a few janitors for free if you buy a package deal.

Interesting.....I have heard mixed reviews.
At this time I feel having a substrate is more for aesthetics & wrasse versus benefits of filtration. The kind of gunk that get's trapped if overwhelming.

Not if you use the right kind of substrate... if you want to use your sand bed as filtration, I'm assuming that you are refering to a dsb?

Miracle mud is simply a grunge that is literally removed from a deep bed of sombodys giant sump to create a cryptic zone for filtration and breakdown of excess junk from your dt. Thereby turning it into more mud. One of the benefits includes coralline spores and pods.

IMO unless you are starting a cycle or a new reef, miracle mud is so not the way to go.

If you want to rebuild a fuge. Check out garf.org. They sell a refugium package that is out of this world!! Includes all kinda of critters and is very reasonably priced. They will quite often throw in a a few janitors for free if you buy a package deal.
I recently tried ordering from Garf and the payment was never processed. Are they still in business?

I stay away from anything with the word "miracle" in it! Aquarium products, cleaners, get rich schemes etc... lol

Miracle mud does work well. Most ppl who hate on it do so because of the cost. Really, who has a true negative complaint about it? Anyone?

Look, if you worried about a $70 purchase in reef keeping then get out now!

Until someone can prove better I will have a DSB in display and miracle mud in fuge.

Do you honestly have to change the mud out all the time or is it a one time use and you just let it do its thing for life?

Follow the links...look at the assay of the product.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19558346&postcount=14

This product is mostly quartz, has no oceanic origins and other than the iron content will no nothing for your tank. The real miracle is that people still buy it after almost 10 years with the knowledge that it is mostly inert and not of oceanic origins yet that people still buy it. Because it is mostly inert, it has no effect, either positive or negative, on your tank. There are some good uses for it, people with seagrasses use it for a substrate where the iron content provides a good medium for plant growth.

The fact that people report success while using has far more to do with their husbandry than a miracle product.

I setup my tank in Januaray and I added Miracle mud to my refugium. I have the CPR Aquafuge refugium the biggest one they carry. I added a 5lb jar of miracle mud, my tank had been doing amazing, never had a nitrate problem due to the Cheato growing like crazy, I run a small PC light opposite to my lights in my DT.

From my understanding you dont have to remove ALL the mud, b/c is can crash ur system, but you should replace about 10-15% of the mud every 8months to a year. (about 2 to 3 hand-fulls, depending how much mud you run)

I only bought a 5lb jar, but I regret it, I should of added 10lbs so I can get at least a 3" bed, right now I have about an inch and a half.

All my corals open like i've never seen before, its like some of the tentacles look retarded @ times of how fat and thick they look, especially on my Alveopora.

Only con I can honestly say is the price, but other than that i'd recommend it.

Good Luck

Do you honestly have to change the mud out all the time or is it a one time use and you just let it do its thing for life?

From ecosystems website FAQ...

"HOW OFTEN SHOULD I DO A 50% MUD CHANGE?
New Ecosystems can run for two years before a mud change is required. After this initial two year period, a 50% mud change is needed each year thereafter."

If you want to learn more about it, then here is the whole FAQ. Of course, it's from the manufacturer so believe what you want.

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/faq/

Back