Mixing red sea salts together

CheckitOut

Knowing the two red sea salts have different parameters, with the blue bucket having lower and the pro having higher levels, has anyone ever mixed the two to make a happy medium between them? Just a thought, which maybe stupid, but I figured I would ask and someone could enlighten me.

That'll probably be fine. I might try a 5g batch, just to be sure, but mixing salt products generally seems to work.

Yes, there's no particular reason not to. The different calcium and alkalinity parameters for different salt mixes just represent different relative amounts of the same things (calcium chloride and sodium carbonate/bicarbonate, generally). So there's no interaction that would cause precipitation or other issues.

BTW - if you choose to, there's no reason that you can't choose a salt with lower values of calcium and/or alkalinity, and simply supplement the resulting seawater with calcium chloride and/or sodium carbonate/bicarbonate to adjust the parameters to your liking. Testing each new dissolution isn't required if the base mix is consistent batch-to-batch, and as long as you mix the same amount each time. This is exactly what I do with hw marinemix - I add 1/2 of a teaspoon of calcium chloride to each 25 gallon batch to slightly boost the calcium.

Yes, there's no particular reason not to. The different calcium and alkalinity parameters for different salt mixes just represent different relative amounts of the same things (calcium chloride and sodium carbonate/bicarbonate, generally). So there's no interaction that would cause precipitation or other issues.

BTW - if you choose to, there's no reason that you can't choose a salt with lower values of calcium and/or alkalinity, and simply supplement the resulting seawater with calcium chloride and/or sodium carbonate/bicarbonate to adjust the parameters to your liking. Testing each new dissolution isn't required if the base mix is consistent batch-to-batch, and as long as you mix the same amount each time. This is exactly what I do with hw marinemix - I add 1/2 of a teaspoon of calcium chloride to each 25 gallon batch to slightly boost the calcium.
What was the calcium level before and after adding the calcium chloride to the hw marinemix?

if you choose to, there's no reason that you can't choose a salt with lower values of calcium and/or alkalinity, and simply supplement the resulting seawater with calcium chloride and/or sodium carbonate/bicarbonate to adjust the parameters to your liking. Testing each new dissolution isn't required if the base mix is consistent batch-to-batch, and as long as you mix the same amount each time. This is exactly what I do with hw marinemix - I add 1/2 of a teaspoon of calcium chloride to each 25 gallon batch to slightly boost the calcium.

This is exactly why I switched to plain jane IO. Every water change threw my dosing off. Now I do a WC with water that exactly matches my tank, and continue to 2 part dose like normal.

Back