Mogul halide and UV glass?

Guygettnby

so short of actually calling a dealer about this issue, i have found little info on this subject. do mogul halide bulbs need a UV glass lid like DE bulbs?

i have heard that the SE mogul bulbs do not need UV glass beacuse it is already built into the bulb.... is this true? i am used to DE HQI bulbs myself.

i plan on making a canopy and i have 2 175W SE mogul that i would like to retro into a hood. they will be at least 12" from the surface so no water splashing here.

DarG

The outer glass envelope of the mogul halide lamps are UV shielded. You dont need a glass shield on the fixture to cut UV. Some use the glass anyway to prevent possible breakage from splash and to protect the reflector material from salt corrosion but it isnt needed to shield the UV like it is for DE lamps.

Guygettnby

thats what i though. i did finally get ahold of somebody from XM to ask if there bulbs were UV shielded and they also told me yes they were.

DarG

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14770067#post14770067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Guygettnby
thats what i though. i did finally get ahold of somebody from XM to ask if there bulbs were UV shielded and they also told me yes they were.

Now, would I have lied to you about something like that? :) J/K

Glad you got confirmation as well, good for piece of mind. So now you know for sure.

I have run both de and se halides. I used the glass on the mogul fixtures to prevent any chance of bulb breakage from splash and protect the reflector material from salt corrosion. But again, most probably dont. The glass does cut some of the par ... about 10 - 20% depending on glass type and thickness.