Monti eating nudibranchs - 2 frags, treat or just throw away?

rocknut

Rocky
So I have only had my 150 gallon tank up and running for four months, and have a limited number of SPS corals in the tank at this early stage. I had added a green Monti Cap as my first coral about two month ago as a sort of test piece, and initially it did very well. Over the past few months I also added an orange cap frag, and finally an encrusting Monti frag just last week. The first green cap went from looking great, to overall just bad, and I eventually just removed it from the tank and discarded it. The orange cap on the other hand has been doing great, and has been growing very well. However, I noticed that one spot right where the coral has encrusted over the epoxy putty base, and onto the live rock, has developed a sort of "pocket" of dead tissue around the other areas of encrustation. Got out the flashlight last night, and found this little bugger:

0xi4.jpg

I know there are a million threads on Monti nudibranchs, and I hate to make yet another one. What I am really hoping to get some opinions on is what makes the most sense going forward. Since I only have two Monti frags at this point, does doing some sort of treatment even make sense? I figure my options would be to just throw away the two frags, and then wait for 6 months before adding any other Montipora pieces, and just stick with my Acroporas in the meantime. Or, because it is only two pieces, it wouldn't be that hard to just remove the two frags each weekend and to do some sort of dip for 6 weeks? It feels like such a cop out to say that I really don't have much of an option for a QT. I have a 20 gallon long tank setup in the living room to use as a QT for fish (no lights), and I feel that having that in addition to my 150gallon display sitting in my living room is already taking advantage of my wife's kindness. Don't think that setting up a third tank would be possible. I do dip all of the incoming corals in TMPCC and Revive before adding them to the tank, although, this didn't seem to do much good.

I appreciate any suggestions, and or advice. I know that we have a lot of experienced people that have been down this road before.

Thanks in advance.

MammothReefer

monti nudis aren't to hard to beat when you only have frags. They lay eggs right in the dead areas of the coral. I would just scrape off what you have. Super glue over all the dead areas, and any crevices or areas you can't reach or see into, then stick them up on a frag rack where you can watch them. If you don't have any other montis and don't plan on adding any for some time the worst case is that you loose the 3 montis you were just about to toss. Monti nudis don't have a larva stage so it's not like you have to worry about them swimming around.

rocknut

Rocky
monti nudis aren't to hard to beat when you only have frags. They lay eggs right in the dead areas of the coral. I would just scrape off what you have. Super glue over all the dead areas, and any crevices or areas you can't reach or see into, then stick them up on a frag rack where you can watch them. If you don't have any other montis and don't plan on adding any for some time the worst case is that you loose the 3 montis you were just about to toss. Monti nudis don't have a larva stage so it's not like you have to worry about them swimming around.

I appreciate the response, and think that is exactly what I will do. I have always enjoyed following your thread, and found lots of inspiration from it. Sorry about some of the problems you had recently, but I know you are back on the right track!

E Rosewater

Look up dipping with Bayer. I love the stuff, it's cheap, effective, and can be used on almost all coral with little to no negative side effects.