Monti STN and fragging

baloutang

I have an idaho grape that keeps getting STN. So I frag it and then it gets it again. I frag way above the area of STN, but now I'm down to my tiny peice of monti. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not sure what to do? Nothing has changed in the tank.
My params are pretty stable.

SG 1.025
PH 8.2
dkh 10
MG 1300
N03 0
PO4 0

Slow Tissue Necrosis, similar to RTN - Rapid Tissue Necrosis, but not as quick. RTN can happen in a matter of hours whereas STN happens over a longer period of time.

Noorwood IND, yes, there was a green cap that just died in close proximity. I removed both peices from the tank and am left with one healthy piece. I hope I did it in time.

I assume you know what monti eating nudis are and have checked for them??

flyyyguy, yup I check, dip and QT all corals and I did check for any pest, plus there's no noticable bite marks that those nudis make.

Zedar, it could be alk, but my tank typically runs a little higher than normal and these corals have been in there for over a month.

I did find out that my RO/DI water wasn't good anymore and have been having a slight phosphate issue in my tank (but no major outbreak of cyno or HA) just a light layer of algae on the substrate. Not sure if that could cause it.

If it's nudi's I wish you the best of luck.

Until I saw them in person I really had no idea what they looked like... I've seen pics of them on the net but had no idea at all how tiny they were in person... they really could pass for detritous. Wiped out all my montis.

the nudis dont make bite marks...thats aefw's.

nudis just start killing from the edges or shadowed places in and lay their eggs in what they kill

Thanks for the clarification....yeah, there's definitely no nudis (took a big magnifying glass to it).
So far so good, the peice I fragged is surviving. The other peice that had the STN with some good tissue is completely a gonner, so I took it out of the tank.

Back