Montipora cap question

kidzatheart

Can you dip monti caps in iodine? We bought one tonight and in the bag with it was some snails that dont look like the good kinds and I figured lugols would kill them if this can be dipped.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Any sps IMO should be dipped, whatever ur specific dip of preference but certainly dip to avoid pests.

Thanks for the reply. My wife had to acclimate and dip the coral last night while I was at work. I was not sure how long to do the dip but she did dip it for a couple of minutes and found what she thinks was a spider, going by pics on here.

Go ahead, I have done a TMPCC dip quite a few times on a cap of mine, however, I think i could dip my caps in the toilet and they would live.

You know, there are desirable things that come on corals sometimes too ;)

Would have hated to see what a dip would do to the 2 coral-living brittle stars that came in on a monti ... or any of the crabs I've had come in on SPS.

Given iodine dips [IMO] are not very effective against monti-nudis [which would be the only monti-associated pest I know of] ... I wouldn't dip.

I've also found Montipora to be generally less tolerant of iodine-based dips ... IME I've had them loose color and stress a lot more than other sps-types in the same dip.

Back