Montis burning

90sShooter

Over the last week or so, I have noticed my sand dollar monti burning around the edges... I didn't think much of it. Then today after I fed, I noticed my superman monti and sunset monti were both burnt looking randomly across the coral. The sunset seems to have burnt looking bumps (about 10 or so little spots) and the superman monti looks like it was stung randomly across 50% of it's body.

At first I thought it was a alk issue but tested and alk is at 7 which is way on the low side, but I can't imagine it would cause this... calc is just over 400...

Only other think I can think of is I have been fighting a hair algea issue for months and finally got fed up. I started dosing "Algaefix" as recommended once every 3 days as well as running a phosphate reactor which I just changed the media and optimized it a little... I am thinking maybe I am taking the phosphates out too fast and it is shocking the coral? maybe? That is the only thing I can think of...

Any other ideas? This literally happened in like hours... maybe overnight, not sure when the last time I looked at them was...

I think your phosphate media will pull down your alk, which will in turn cause the polyp retraction and "burning" your seeing. It is best to use 2 tablespoons per 10 gal of water to start and raise your dosage monthy when you change your media. What's your alk normally? I keep my alk at 9 if I dropped it to 7 that would be over a 20% shift; IMO this is not good.

To be honest I try to keep my Alk pretty high... around 12, but over the last couple months it seems to have been slipping down due to my calcium reactor not being tuned right... it's kinda been all over the place, lol but everything seems to be doing fine otherwise... In fact, this morning they are almost 100% back to normal :confused: you know I think it may be a flow issue. I recently sent in my tunzes to get fixed and put a couple koralia 1s in and its about a quarter of the flow... :( What do you think?

I think all of that could be your problem(s). What kind of reactor is it? How come you havent been able to tune it properly? Seems like you have it summed up in your post. Id work on the things you posted and see if things improve.

Back