most hardy puffer?

Beemo

Moved On
what is the most hardy saltwater puffer out there?
i know porc's are prone to ich, does this apply to all puffers? or just the porc's?

porc's are relatively hardy. prone to ich if your water is bad. not too sure on this one i'll wait too

There are not really any real hardy puffers, although it depends on what you mean by hardy...They are all quite sensitive to water quality and disease if thats what you mean. Porcs I think are a bit more prone to ich than some others though.

my pork has been the hardiest fish in my tank. I have had him for about a year and he has gone through an extreme episode of an unknown disease that i am guessing is brooklynella that killed 4 fish and he was fine. I sent him to QT many times and he could care less. If you get one, make sure your LFS doesn't take them out of their show tank with a net, as I can't stress this enough. make them use a bucket of some type as with the net, they get out into the air and try and "puff" up and their lungs become full of air. After that it is a PITA to get them to "unpuff" and they will have a huge pocket of air in them and they'll get stuck in the net and blah blah blah.... WELL HTH!!!

is it best to add a puffer after the tank has been established for a long time (1 year +) ??

you see, im just starting to restock my tank after a velvet outbreak, the tank has been fallow (fishless) for 7 weeks now. i added a small maroon clown and a small yellow tail damsel and so far they are doing ok, no signs of the parasite (yet)
the tank is about 6 months old, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates are 5ppm
should i wait a bit longer to add a puffer?

Ya wait a bit longer and maybe add some more damsels for color or entertainment :) just to be sure that you are alright, you don't have to wait a year though, just long enough so you feel comfortable.
You might also want to think about the rest of the fish you want and put them in the order to add them in from most delicate and easy to be bullied and then up to your more aggressive fish. HTH a bit

im so impatient i went and ordered a toby. i think i knew enuff to stay away from the porcs, even though they are my favorite, the whole ich magnet thing got me spooked.
hopefully a toby will be hardier
im gonna QT him for a month tho. i have til wednesday to get a QT tank goin'

im keeping my fingers crossed, i hope all the parasites are starved by now
its kinda hard looking at an empty tank for nearly 2 months lol

What kind of toby? They are great little puffers. I have a Valentini who I think is the toughest puffer I have ever had...except for maybe my Green Spotted Puffer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10452384#post10452384 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TriniStylez
What kind of toby? They are great little puffers. I have a Valentini who I think is the toughest puffer I have ever had...except for maybe my Green Spotted Puffer.

yeah thats the one, the valentini :lol:

Yup, valentini's are tough. Stars and Stripes are hardy as are most of the Arthorons. Meleagris Puffer is more delicate though.

Fingerprint Puffer's, Canthigaster compressa, are very hardy too and beautifully colored and don't get huge like the Arthorons.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10456872#post10456872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TriniStylez
My Valentini has gotten ich once and got over it with no problems and has never had it again. That was two years ago.

did yours get ich when you first introduced him to the tank?

well hes due to arrive any minute now :D

Gunea Fowl, Golden, Dogface, Stars & Stripes, Mappa, etc. have all been nearly bulletproof for me. Same thing with the tobys.

All puffers are ich prone ime but ive never lost one to ich. Ive kept a valentini, porc, mappa, and bluespot toby.

yeah that is alot of puffers :lol:

well lil toby arrived. he didnt look that great in the bag, he was floating.
i acclimated him and within a few seconds he was up.
i didnt do the QT..im a fool i know, but i didnt go out yesterday to get the QT stuff

hes in the tank now, acting a bit shy. i wont look at him because he seems a bit frightened, so im gonna leave him in peace for now and watch from far away :lol:
hes around 2"

i also got a snowflake eel thats a bit bigger than i ordered, but man is this thing a maniac! very active and looking for food allready. i'll hold out on feeding him until the puffer calms down.
bad thing about the snowflake is that hes creating sandstorms in the tank :eek1: grrrr i hate that!
hes playing with the hermit crabs :rollface:

is it normal for the toby to be shy like this?? i hope hes ok :confused:

Back