Motivation

travis32

So, I was looking at my tank last night, mostly in disgust. After I did some cleaning of it.

I put hours of maintenance into it every week and am losing motivation. Last weekend I did my standard 2 week water change. Cleaned the algae Scrubber and removed the standard softball size ball of hair algae from it. Cleaned the screen etc. I pulled a few rocks that were covered in algae and scrubbed them down in waste salt water. Put the rocks back in. I only did around 1/3rd or 1/4th of the rock.

Many of them have corals that are doing well, and I'd prefer not to disturb the corals. But, at the same time, I'm more angry at the system than I am happy with it.

I think it's the culmination of everything I've been through in the last 6 months of it's operation. I reused a lot of equipment that I had from a 220 I sold a couple years ago.. That was my first mistake. A lot of it broke down in the setup phase. My external $400 return pump died when I tried restarting things. I have 1 of the two MP40s on the fritz.

I had 1 heater (out of two) that electrocuted 14 out of 19 fish. I've had several floods just from not keeping up with all the things going wrong. My top off controller fried and was a $200 replacement.(could have been worse, the vendor was great to work with).

I had several skimmer dial in issues, where it was too sensitive or not sensitive enough that caused a few floods, soaked carpet a few times with anywhere from 10 to 20 gallons of water. A float switch that failed when making new top off water, and pretty much anything that could go wrong in the last 6 months has.

Now, I need to take the other half of my rock and try to scrub all the hair algae off. I reused dry rock that I had in a previous system. I never thought of bleaching it, and just threw it in and let it cycle for two months. I didn't think about stored up nutrients. Now all the rocks are covered in massive amounts of hair algae. I'm pulling what I can reach but it's a lot....

And I only have 4 fish and feeding minimally. Plus the scrubber is getting full every week... So, wouldn't the nutrients be starved eventually with 20% water changes a month, skimmer, and algae scrubber. I thought the nutrients would eventually run low...

I'm losing hope that this is eventually going to clean up enough to the point I can stop responding to fires perse...

I know it'll get better, maybe in a year or two, but spending $50 - 80 a month in electricity for a pile of rocks and a bunch of hair algae is getting old. Plus, I need some type of way to remove debris from the water column. It's constantly cloudy. Filter socks become foamy and gross in 2 days. A roller mat is $300 and I don't know if that would be enough for a 350gallon system.

Is there something else I should be doing over the next 6 months to get rid of the hair algae or just wait for algae to release itself off of 100lbs of rock?

The rock I scrubbed turned the waste water black. So, Not sure what that's a sign of??? Am I to a point I just need to start over, pull the rock, bleach it, wash it muriatic acid and completely start over? I don't really have the energy to do that. I've done it before on previous systems, but, that's a lot of effort and time that I don't really have.

So, I was looking at my tank last night, mostly in disgust. After I did some cleaning of it.

I put hours of maintenance into it every week and am losing motivation. Last weekend I did my standard 2 week water change. Cleaned the algae Scrubber and removed the standard softball size ball of hair algae from it. Cleaned the screen etc. I pulled a few rocks that were covered in algae and scrubbed them down in waste salt water. Put the rocks back in. I only did around 1/3rd or 1/4th of the rock.

Many of them have corals that are doing well, and I'd prefer not to disturb the corals. But, at the same time, I'm more angry at the system than I am happy with it.

I think it's the culmination of everything I've been through in the last 6 months of it's operation. I reused a lot of equipment that I had from a 220 I sold a couple years ago.. That was my first mistake. A lot of it broke down in the setup phase. My external $400 return pump died when I tried restarting things. I have 1 of the two MP40s on the fritz.

I had 1 heater (out of two) that electrocuted 14 out of 19 fish. I've had several floods just from not keeping up with all the things going wrong. My top off controller fried and was a $200 replacement.(could have been worse, the vendor was great to work with).

I had several skimmer dial in issues, where it was too sensitive or not sensitive enough that caused a few floods, soaked carpet a few times with anywhere from 10 to 20 gallons of water. A float switch that failed when making new top off water, and pretty much anything that could go wrong in the last 6 months has.

Now, I need to take the other half of my rock and try to scrub all the hair algae off. I reused dry rock that I had in a previous system. I never thought of bleaching it, and just threw it in and let it cycle for two months. I didn't think about stored up nutrients. Now all the rocks are covered in massive amounts of hair algae. I'm pulling what I can reach but it's a lot....

And I only have 4 fish and feeding minimally. Plus the scrubber is getting full every week... So, wouldn't the nutrients be starved eventually with 20% water changes a month, skimmer, and algae scrubber. I thought the nutrients would eventually run low...

I'm losing hope that this is eventually going to clean up enough to the point I can stop responding to fires perse...

I know it'll get better, maybe in a year or two, but spending $50 - 80 a month in electricity for a pile of rocks and a bunch of hair algae is getting old. Plus, I need some type of way to remove debris from the water column. It's constantly cloudy. Filter socks become foamy and gross in 2 days. A roller mat is $300 and I don't know if that would be enough for a 350gallon system.

Is there something else I should be doing over the next 6 months to get rid of the hair algae or just wait for algae to release itself off of 100lbs of rock?

The rock I scrubbed turned the waste water black. So, Not sure what that's a sign of??? Am I to a point I just need to start over, pull the rock, bleach it, wash it muriatic acid and completely start over? I don't really have the energy to do that. I've done it before on previous systems, but, that's a lot of effort and time that I don't really have.

Wow dude. Just wow.

This hobby is not for the faint of heart. All that work you put in will make it that much better when you finally get to where you want to be. If you can last that long of coarse.
Not everyone can. It can be frustrating and sometimes a pointless waste of time and money.
Set your goals and work towards them. Nothing worth having is without its hiccups.

I'm with ya..it can be frustrating with the algae..I'm 1 yr into it with wkly water changes and still have gha issues...i got an ats a month ago so waiting for that to kick in..in the past I had good luck with nopox until I started getting a bacteria bloom like red cyano so I stopped nopox but algae came back...

There are times I want to pull the plug but my 10 fish and a couple corals are at least thriving.

Definately hate gha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow! Hang in there! We have all been there at one time or another in this hobby. IMO this hobby can be one of the most rewarding or the most frustrating. It can also feel like a money pit too.... especially loosing fish and equipment.

If it were me I would probably at this point as much as a PITA that is.....either scrub all the hair algae from the rocks, start over and bleach them, add some vibrant to help with the algae, run some gfo or carbon (not sure if you are doing this already). I like Chemipure Blue to clear up the water. Just some ideas. Lawn mower blennies and Sea hares do a great job eatting hair algae as well! Good luck and let us know how it turns out for ya! [emoji4]

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Really frustrating seeing all the beautiful tanks out there, and I swear I do something wrong that sabotages it for 1-2 years at a minimum. Every system I've had has had major hair algae issues. I swear it's something I'm doing wrong, but, not really sure what. I'm using RODI at 0 TDS, I'm using IO salt, I'm using new sand (wihch I"ve reused sand in the past that was a huge regret). I'm using an ATS to grow algae in the sump. I'm hand pulling, I'm scrubbing rocks, I'm doing religious water changes. Not a ton each time, but, over time should add up to most of the water having been replaced.

Shoft of running additional chemicals, like GFO, which I thought the scrubber would be the equivalent of GFO... Natural vs. Chemical filtration.

Maybe scrubbing down more of the rocks will help neutralize the release of nutrients.
I may add some new rock too (another 40 lbs) to help with filtration as well.

Bringing my total rock work to 150 pounds in a 350 gallon display.

I've also thought about plumbing in a second sump, with a crap ton of rock in it. to aid in additional filtration. Another 50-80lbs of dry rock in a second sump. Leave it unlighted for critters that don't like light.

Could your rocks possibly be leaching phosphates that are feeding the hair algae? Or are you running your lights too long? I was originally running mine at 12 hours a day...GHA took off like crazy. I changed it to 8 hours a day and now I have no more green hair algae. I also cut back on feeding...that seems to have helped as well.

Could your rocks possibly be leaching phosphates that are feeding the hair algae? Or are you running your lights too long? I was originally running mine at 12 hours a day...GHA took off like crazy. I changed it to 8 hours a day and now I have no more green hair algae. I also cut back on feeding...that seems to have helped as well.

I run my T5HOs from around 11 am to 6:30 pm. The 3 HYDRA 52 LED lights I have a 2 hour ramp up and down, and they start ramping up at 9 am and start ramping down by 6:00 pm. I could probably decrease them a little more, but I like seeing them on on the weekends at least for a little while. heh.

I'm pretty sure my rocks are leaching phosphates. They have to be. I'm feeding less than a cube a day for 4 fish. A half sheet of nori every 2-3 days for the tang and rabbit fish. They usually demolish it.

I just put an order in for some carbon, some filter bags, and some puregen. Going to try approaching this in a different way. The water comes out in white buckets almost brown, but some of that is probably from the turf scrubber. But my filter floss is covered in brown gunk. It's a large 17 By 17 square of filter floss. Just covered almost solid in brown crap. I'm thinking it's algae and crap releasing from the rocks, but more grows in it's place. I'm pretty sure it just recycles itself. I'm changing the filter floss weekly. On top of everything else.

I thought the turf scrubber would outgrow the nutrients in my rocks, but, there must be a ton of stored up nutrients or something!

Maybe problem is your sand? Do you clean your sand? I've found even good rinsing of new sand is usually not good enough? It needs to be rinsed till completely clear.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I've learned from experience if my tank breaks out in algae i have to increase flow as much as possible and keep pushing forward. These beautiful tanks make it look easy when its not.

It helps to have fish tank buddies to help keep each other accountable.
They see your tank slipping they can call you out on it and vise versa

I know I probably need more flow. I've got 3 powerheads now, plus my return at max (around 2500 - 3000 gph just from the return). Plus 2 MP40s and one Skimz S18. I need at least one more power head to keep the water current going. Thought about some nano powerheads, closer to the sand bed where things don't circulate well and point into caves and things like that, but, do I want a tank full of powerheads. . . . .

Unless you are overfeeding, something has to be leaching nutrients into the system. Maybe the rock and/or sand is loaded with stored phosphates? What is your nitrate and phosphate level when you test for those?

Also, if you see detritus (especially down in the sump) that's something you need to completely siphon out during the water changes.

Travis- I would pull the rocks and give it a Muriatic acid bath. Take the time and do it right. If not you will wasted more of your energy scrubbing rocks instead of enjoying your hobby

I have a simple suggestion

1. Leave your tank alone.
2. Feed your fish more.

3. Set up a 10 gallon tank no lights like in a closet, and add a power head and heater. Put some of your LR from the tank in and leave it for a month. Just top off. Examine and scrub with a dish brush and do a wish in a clean 5 gallon bucket of sw and see what it does.

Drain the 10 gallon and put new water in and put the rock back in and wait a month.

See what it does.

You could test the water after a month but I bet your readings would just be high.

This will only cost you 2 months of time and a few bucks. It will let you know if your rock is an issue.

Back