mounting 400w MH reflector on a 2x4 a fire hazard?

milkit

i just got my new lighting yesterday and the reflector is a lumenmax elite with a 400w bulb in it. It a mounting bracket on the reflector with screw holes. I screwed that into a 2x4 peice of wood that is cut to length of my tank and perfectly holds itself up in the canopy without any permenant mounting so I can remove it easy.

Then I got to thinking, is it safe to mount this to a peice of wood? Is it a fire hazard? should i find a metal mount instead?

You might be surprised how hot they can get. Yes, if you're mounting a bare metal reflector (i.e. no "outside" skin on the pendant), then yes I would leave a little air gap between the metal and the wood. if it's something like a LumenMax2 (reflector is separate from the outside of the pendant), then the top won't get near as warm.

its a lumenmax elite, heres a pic. there is a small gap between the light itself and the wood thanks to the bracket, but only like 1/4-1/8" inch

I doubt you'll have any issues there. Just keep an eye on it the first few times you plug things in.

Back