mounting powerheads on THICK acrylic

khaosinc

The cyborg reefer
I would like to add a few powerheads on the back of my tank, but as its all I can do to get the Korillas to stay on the side, trying to mount them on 1 1/2" acrylic is going to be a pain.

Anyone come up with a good option around this? Its 3 K 4's I'd like to mount back there.

I'm resisting the temptation to just superglue them. Perhaps filling the suction cup w/ silicone?

I would think the silicone would hold. But maybe you can try to find a more powerful magnet for the outside. I don't know where you would get 1, but any magnet would work I would think.

I had the same problem with my 1 inch thick acrylic tank and k4's. I eventually when with tunzes and their magnets penetrate 1 inch thick with no problem. The suregrip 100 is actually a very strong magnet. Maybe an option.

having already long since broken the bank with this build, I'm trying to keep with what equipment I have.... at least till I'm back working full time

Guess we shall see how silicone works.

could you fab up some 1/8-1/4" thick "bars" that would clip over the tank & then the powerhead would attach to them (like a thinner tank)???

i know it's made for ato floats, but think something along these lines......

DS08_resize.JPG

i hope that makes sense......cool thing about that is that it would be easy to remove them to clean the powerheads &/or move them around the tank....unlike siliconing them on the back wall

I thought about something like that but the problem is being an acrylic tank, it would put them almost 1' off the wall. I might be able to rig somethign to the overflows... HMM

Back