mounting xenia

jlevs

In Memoriam
having a problem mounting xenia.
cant seem to get it to attach unless a place a rock next to a stalk, i want to cut and then get to mount on a small rock,

whats the best method?

+1 on the toothpicks. I stick them with a toothpick about 1/2 inch up from the bottom, cut them off and rubberband it to the rock. Within 3 days it'll be attached and you can remove the toothpick.

+2 for toothpicks. Works really well.

If you have the room like I do, I just frag Xenia and toss it in a small container filled with rubble. They attach really fast that way, much less work too.

+3 for toothpicks. Stick the tooth pick right through the stalk and into a hole in the rock. Can also drill a hole in frag plug if you are using those. Works great and will heal overnight. Can cut toothpick if you want and add a small ball of super glue to top of toothpick so it does not slide off the top. Like everyone says they attach very quickly....about three days or less. Can remove toothpick or just leave it there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14187317#post14187317 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoralCaps
+2 for toothpicks. Works really well.

If you have the room like I do, I just frag Xenia and toss it in a small container filled with rubble. They attach really fast that way, much less work too.

I use to do 30 -40 at the time in a container with rubble .
Never lost one that way .

I have propagated many hundreds of Xenias. I have used rubble trays with great success although they often cling to the walls instead. I have also had great results with the toothpick method just as described by minesinger, although I much prefer to use a plastic toothpick.

Cespitularia and Efflatournaria also respond great to plastic toothpicks.

Xenias will almost always release if you try superglue or needle and thread methods.

I've been doing pom pom's exclusively with rubberbands. I just grab them at the base and pinch them off the rock, then rubber band them to the piece of rubble I want them on. THey're attached in a day or so.

Mine spread so much, all I do is place a rock next to them and whistle and they jump over...lol...not quite, but close. Just bend one over and place a small rock on it. Within a few days it will either attach to the rock or the substrate, just snip it off the donor colony and you're done.

Back