Moving a 68 Gallon Reef Tank. Any Advice?

T206

Hi All,

I want to move my 68 gallon reef tank to another room (close by maybe 15 feet to another room). I am upgrading and want to move the old reef tank to another room while the new tank cycles. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to move this tank without completely destroying it and taking everything out?

Thanks in advance!

Tanner

Hi All,

I want to move my 68 gallon reef tank to another room (close by maybe 15 feet to another room). I am upgrading and want to move the old reef tank to another room while the new tank cycles. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to move this tank without completely destroying it and taking everything out?

Thanks in advance!

Tanner

I asked the same but mine is only 40G....and basically most say....you have to take almost everything out.

Its a headache just thinking about it.
Maybe....
1) drain and remove corals first with a powerhead and heater in a big container
2) catch fish...air pump, heater
3) remove rocks if you can....if you glued it to glass....i have no idea...

thats your livestock secure....

the rest is remove as much weigh as you can, skimmer, sump, refugium etc etc
You will probably need 3-4 people to carry your tank and cabinet.

If you have sandbed, chances are, you are going to need to remove it....unless your floor is so smooth and even, and your cabinet base is made to be pushed....you could push it cm by cm...

Good luck, let us know what you did.

...(cant edit my posts)...I should say, pushing it is VERY VERY risky, if you can even move a 60G+ tank, sandbed and cabinet.

The weight on a 70 gallon tank is going to be close to 800 pounds I would not even joke around about trying to push it the best option would be to cycle all of the new rocks in a Rubbermaid tub and then once they are cycle tear down the old tank as per above move the new tank into position and put all of the established rocks and sand directly into the new tank let it sit overnight and test for fluctuations then move the livestock into it just my opinion but I have moved a tank or two in my day :)

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

You'll need to take enough out to lighten the load so it can be moved. IMO I wouldn't risk pushing or sliding it around.

Back