Moving Large Tank

Waffen06

I didn't know where to ask this but Im looking at buying a 125 gallon or larger aquarium. I live in Ohio where it's a balmy 20 degrees with plenty of snow. Guy I work with said to watch moving such a large tank in winter as any little bit of water could freeze and ruin the seals. Everything I'm looking at would be at least an hour away and would be moved in the back of my truck. Is this a concern or should I wait for spring?

As long as you get it all dry I don't see any issues. That being said, I would wrap it well in heavy blankets and going from warm to really cold to warm with the rapid temperature change can affect the glass and seals.

Seals in a tank are silicone, which water shouldn't penetrate if it does the tank was broken before. Perhaps someone with actual experience can bring up a better solution but moving an empty tank in the winter doesn't make a difference.

I would imagine that in the course of commerce lots of glass tanks have and will sit in freezing warehouses and trucks. Cannot imagine how that would be a problem unless a full tank was allowed to fully freeze. Even a little water isn't likely to be a problem; though its easy enough to dry it out with an old towel (just don't use the good towels; doesn't go over well with the wife).

The bigger issue is if your trying to set the tank up the same day since all rock would start to have die off much more quickly than if temps weren't in the 20's here in ohio. If your just moving the tank just dry it out with towel and move it, shouldn't have any issues at all. Like Simon mentioned just don't use the nice towels!

LOL,

I did the towel thing too, what honey, It's just salt water :eek: now I have my very own fish only towels!!!

As long as you get it all dry I don't see any issues. That being said, I would wrap it well in heavy blankets and going from warm to really cold to warm with the rapid temperature change can affect the glass and seals.

To expand on this:

I wouldn't worry about a trace of water, but as a coatings/ plastics chemist I would worry much more about the cold making the frame brittle. Last year, in the midst of the great January Vortex, I had a 40B crack the frame at every corner, top and bottom, from sitting on my front seat of my Accord with no vibration. I know this because I bought it fresh, drove it to my new apartment (a pretty good distance from any LFS) in a nice warm car. I left it outside overnight - so it cooled down slowly and was not temp shocked - as I was unloading the Penske and was too tired at the end of the day. I didn't think leaving it outside would hurt. When I brought it inside the next morning, I noticed all 4 top-n-bottom corners were fractured from what looked like cold shrinkage (shut up, no jokes).

A 40B is light compared to a 125, and a front seat is really soft and cushy compared to (what I'm guessing is) the bed of a pickup. I'd say be careful.

LOL,

I did the towel thing too, what honey, It's just salt water :eek: now I have my very own fish only towels!!!

Same here:D
I don't see an issue just make sure it is dry. I helped a friend last winter when it was below zero. The tank fared better than we did.

Back