Moving Livestock - Help?

narwal

Hi,
I'm purchasing the remaining livestock from my LFS which is getting out of saltwater.
It is mostly corals, an anemone, maybe a few snails and shrimp, and lots of chaeto.

I can put all the critters into my display tank, but I want to put all the chaeto and some rocks which have lots of seaweed and corals on them into another tank. After I have moved the rest of the system over it will be a large refugium.

Do I need to cycle the new water (RO/DI) and salinated? I will be bringing about 10 gallons of the store water with me for the 65 gallon fuge. This tank/fuge is not currently connected to the main system.

Thanks.

Kind of confused by your question... water does not cycle... it is the tank that cycles as the live rock develops to be able to convert ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. If you are asking if you need to use RODI water that is salinated for the live rock and chaeto, the answer is yes. There should not be much of a cycle if the rock is not out of the water and maintains a fairly stable temp. Also note that if there are corals on the rock, you will need some lights to keep them alive if they are going to stay in this tank for any more than a short period of time.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I quess the simply question should have been "Would it be safe to put all this stuff into tank with new RO/DI water which is salinated but has never had any livestock in it so it has never cycled. I would like to put everything in there first to isolate it before I put any into the main system. Lights and temp control will be done too.

I would think that would be fine, essentially the same as a QT tank unless the rock has some die off and starts another cycle. I would let others weigh in though too, I don't have a lot of experience.

i would say use all the water you get from the store, plus what ever else you need to make up to fill the tank, then watch for amonia, if it starts coming up move some rock to the new tank from your old tank, and move your corals to the old, already cycled tank, your old rock is already cycled and that should help with the amonia spike

Thanks. That's a great idea with the live rock. I think I'll also do a water change on the main tank and use that water for the new one.

Back