Moving livestock to a larger tank

NoxAeternus

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade from a 30 gallon nanocube to a 100-125 gallon tank. Right now, I've got a few corals, snails, peppermint shrimp, and 2 clownfish.

After the tank is set up, I'm going to want to move my livestock from my 30 to the 125.

Is there a proper way to do this move? Should I slowly transition things from the 30 gallon to the 125? What should go first? Should I move my sandbed at any point? Or is it best to start over?

Also, I don't think I'll be adding a lot of new livestock at first. Will my current fish get stressed from having too large of an area to explore?

Thanks

I would honestly get new sand(Dry Base sand), and let the new tank cycle. Once that tank is cycled start moving things over slowly say two things a week. Once the old tank is almost empty get what ever sand you can salvage and put it into the new tank to help seed it. No the fish wont be stressed from more room.

My 02

Your new tank is so large in comparison to your old tank that there is not much in the old tank that is going to help the new one. As such, I would suggest you setup the new tank .. add new sand, live rock etc .. and let cycle for a month or so before you consider migrating your livestock.

Back