Moving tank - coralline complications?

Xolsiion

I have a tank that's 100% covered in coralline on the back, and about 50% on each side panel. When I move the tank it will not have water in for about 4 hours.

Will the coralline survive? Do I need to completely clean it off the glass before moving the tank to prevent water contamination?

it will survive.. i like the look of the coraline all over the back as well what i did was take some wet papertowels and put them on top of the coraline so the tank was sitting with the back down... it was without water anything else for more then 8 hours it was fine.. a little die off but 90 percent or better survival

The last tank I moved was a 120 with the back glass and overflows totally covered in coraline and some areas green star polyps. The tank was dry for about 10 hours and die off was minimal, maybe 10%. I didn't keep it wet with anything.

I have been down this path a few times and surprisingly most of it did pull through. One tip to offer which is relatively cheap to do and will give you a better chance of success. Go to Home Depot or a place like that and they sell off of a roll filter floss. Get you a good length of the 1" thick floss. Saturate it in your tank water or new water with elevated calcium levels. Place it over the sides with the coraline. Then place plastic wrap from the kitchen over the floss and the top of the tank. This will keep it moist for a few hours until you can get the water back into the tank. The exposure to air for a few hours is what you want to avoid. Good luck getten everything moved and back together with no drama.

Great, thanks all for the info! More than likely I'll be doing the filter floss thing just to mitigate the danger.

Back