moving tank to another floor

jeanjacq

Hope this is the right forum....

I'm moving from one apartment to another in the same building, and I need to take my 65 gallon reef along. Anybody have experience with this? Here's what I'm thinking:

- remove all the fish but leave corals in place
- drain water down to the sand
- leave sand and rock in place (rock is cemented together so can't be removed easily)
- try to lift the tank and stand onto a wheeled furniture dolly/cart
- wheel it down hallway, up the elevator, and into the new apartment
- refill with the old water

Think that will work? I have about 60 lbs of rock, 40 of sand, so I'm thinking the drained tank will weigh 200 pounds or so... Can it be done?

Have fun I'd take everything out your tank will be about 300lbs I bet. Especially w some water, and also I'll have to keep it steady so nothing falls and breaks while carrying upstairs/ downstairs. I would put everything in containers that you could move even water. En setup tank and bring containers to fill it back up.

I think it will be heavier with wet sand, but not sure if it is the same since it is cemented. If you can't get the sand out I would take everything else out. I had tons of "fun" moving a 65 like this and ended up having to do the same. I would get a couple 33 gallong trash cans from home depot for like $10. They have wheels which makes it a little eaiser with rock and water to move them. But anyways good luck with it and hope it turns out well.

Yeah, I'll have a helper for lifting the tank. Even if it's 300 lbs I'm thinking two men can lift it a few inches, slide a dolly underneath, and push it. Never done it though. If I take the rock out I'd have to break it apart--it was cemented together.

Just got done moving my 75 into a new house. Glad that's over with.
It took 3 of us roughly 9 hours to do. SUCKED :lol2:
I couldn't imagine moving something like a 150+ like I'm sure some have experienced.
Have fun!

Moving to another apartment in the same building isn't a whole lot different than moving across town in my opinion. Either way it's going to be alot of work.

Back