Moving to Bay Area, how's the reefing scene?

tgunn

Hello all,
It looks like I'll likely be moving to the Bay Area later this year or in the new year. How is the reefing scene over there? I'm guessing it's much better than in the Canadian prairies, huh?

Is on here the best place to keep up with the local clubs?

I'll be bringing an empty Solana 34g and look forward to what I imagine will be a much better selection!

Pretty dead. One of the worst places to reef in general.

Just kidding. I think we have a pretty large community here in the Bay and have several good places to make your purchases as well. This area is probably the 2nd largest saltwater community in California, next to Southern California. You should be able to find almost any coral you wanted within this forum, at much better prices than stores.

but forget about the fish. You won't have to deal with the snow anymore!!! (I'm originally from Edmonton).

Good luck!

Awesome I'm glad to hear it. Is there regular club meetings or anything like that? There's pretty much no clubs here in Winnipeg.

Hah oh yeah the lack of snow is going to be awesome. Snow is in the forecast here next week. I can't wait to sell my Snowblower.

Awesome I'm glad to hear it. Is there regular club meetings or anything like that? There's pretty much no clubs here in Winnipeg.

Hah oh yeah the lack of snow is going to be awesome. Snow is in the forecast here next week. I can't wait to sell my Snowblower.

I wouldn't mind snow. Rather have snow than earthquakes! or ghetto people.

I wouldn't mind snow. Rather have snow than earthquakes! or ghetto people.

With snow comes other problems. The large quantity of snow we receive here puts us at a considerable risk of devastating overland flooding. We've had numerous major floods over the past 10 years causing billions of dollars in 100% uninsurable damage.

Oh, and we do have PLENTY of ghetto people here too..

Yeah, I'm willingly giving up the snow, thanks. :)

There's tons of clubs in the area. Id be surprised if you can stick to just one. Where are you moving to more specifically and we can point you in the right direction.

The bay is the best place on earth outside of living in the ocean. Lol friendly people here with lots of people in all corners and in the middle.

You rarely have to buy anything new as most of us have tons of extra gear if you are looking for anything, I mean anything.

snow is nice, until you have to drive in it every day. its no fun driving in snow, specially if the city budget for salt runs out one month into winter. The only good thing about snow, for kids, is snow day. I moved to bay area, site unseen, when I got fed up with snow, and don't regret it one bit. The only better place to move to is hawaii. good move tgunn.

There's tons of clubs in the area. Id be surprised if you can stick to just one. Where are you moving to more specifically and we can point you in the right direction.

We will be moving to Sunnyvale or thereabouts. We are still trying to figure out why areas we like best for public schools, etc.

The bay is the best place on earth outside of living in the ocean. Lol friendly people here with lots of people in all corners and in the middle.

You rarely have to buy anything new as most of us have tons of extra gear if you are looking for anything, I mean anything.

Good to hear!

I'll be bringing an assortment of equipment from when I ran my 140g so I'll be able to swap for stuff too I figure. My 34g Solana is also coming. I figure I'll start back out small while I settle in. It'll also depend what my apartment will allow.

snow is nice, until you have to drive in it every day. its no fun driving in snow, specially if the city budget for salt runs out one month into winter. The only good thing about snow, for kids, is snow day. I moved to bay area, site unseen, when I got fed up with snow, and don't regret it one bit. The only better place to move to is hawaii. good move tgunn.

I hear you. I really give it a good try to embrace winter last year but I realized I can't stand snow. It looks nice in pictures but the reality is everything is so filthy because of all the salt and sNd they use on the roads. I am looking forward to being able to enjoy the outdoors year round!

You can check out the sharks tank in San Jose :)

Hah, my wife has wanted to see the Jets (the NHL team we got here a few years ago) play locally, but it's just too expensive and the tickets are always sold out. I told her we could go see them get trounced by the Sharks when we're moved out. :)

Back