MP40, a nice quiet one please :-)

Superpuma

Hi. l put this out as a pm, havn't had a response so l'll start a thread, it could help more than myself.

l want to buy an MP40 for my 125g tank, l currently operate 2 x mp10's and a couple of tunzes, but l need the individual power of the mp40, not a combo of smaller pumps. But..... l've had a couple of 40's in the past, say 3 yrs back, both pumps went back to the shop, the noise was just crazy. Have any upgrades been done with the noise issue? l feel with these pumps that it's the luck of the draw, my 2 x mp 10's are quite, l read others have issues, my mates mp40 is quiet, l've had issues. l know all about lining up and running in, l just want a quiet pump. Regards. Mike

Super,

When purchasing an MP40wES it is very important to have the pin spacer set correctly, and allow up to two weeks for the wetside to "break in". By doing the combination of these two things you will have an MP40wES that will operate noise free.

Echotech. Do you guys provide decible readings of your pumps?

I have an MP10 and MP40 and both move the water great, but they are not silent. I find that you could ask 10 people if their pumps are quiet and you would get 10 different answers.

Seems a decible reading would be a whole lot simplier.

This is why l'm very dubious about splashing out on one of these pumps. l really want one, l think they're features can't be beaten, it's just the lucky dip of whether or not them make an awful racket. Are these pumps plugged in before they leave the factory? For the money you pay for them quality control should at least include firing them up and rejecting the noisier ones and giving them a little TLC.

Alex. I previously had the pin spacer set correctly , and wet and dry sides aligned, after 2 weeks there was minimal difference. The noise issue is well known about. Has anything been done to improve it over the last 2 or 3 years? You just can't have the noise of a noisey MP40 dominating your living space.

Last edited:
When I called to complain about the noise, they said there is a 2-3 week break in time. I waited a month and after hearing no change I went over to listen to a friends to make sure mine was normal. Sounded the same. I really think it comes down to how sensitve you are to noise. If I had it to do over again, I was just buy a couple of the smaller tunze and control them via my apex.

Give me your email and l'll do that. Can't see what difference it will make to me being able to guarantee buying a quiet mp40.

Back