MP40qd Tank too close to wall for proper spacer

waverz

Slave to the reef!
I have an 80 gallon tank that has been running for a few months. I decided I needed more flow and ordered an MP40qd. I found the dimensions of the dry side and measured the space between the wall and tank. I knew it would be close but the dimensions I found online didn't include the thickness of the spacer.

My glass looks to be near .25" I havent measured yet though.

So now I'm not sure what to do. The only spacer that will physically fit is the rubber gasket. Im assuming the pump wont work properly with the incorrect spacer.

I thought about possibly adding a .25" spacer in the tank to make the glass thickness adequate for the rubber gasket but im not sure that would even work.

Moving the tank might be possible but it would obviously mean draining it down to nothing and then possible sliding it but that is a huge undertaking.

Darn it. I might be sending this pump back. I dont want to but I really dont want to go through the hassle of moving the tank a half inch just so the pump will fit.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting Ecotec directly regarding your issue? I have always found them to be very helpful when I have contacted them.
Regarding your question, my guess is that the thinner spacer won't cause issues with your dryside but may cause premature wear on the wetside. But that is only a guess and is not based on any facts or experience.

Good luck,
Tom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's correct, if you go without spacers the coupling of the magnets will be too strong and prematurely wear out your wet side.

Although I never thought about placing the spacer on the inside. I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work. As long as you can get it to attach and sit flat on the glass, I'd be interested to know how that turned out.

I had this problem on my last tank. I just made a poly carb disc of the appropriate thickness and put it under the wetside. Worked fine for years. I would not use acrylic as it may warp.

Back