MP40W and controller question

Lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
Premium Member
I want to use the Neptune Systems Apex controller to turn on/off power to my MP40W's. I want to alternate the MP40's with a closed loop which circulates tank water in the opposite direction.

However, here is the catch: I also want to use the MP40s as my emergency circulation in case of a power failure. I have plugged them into an APC (brand) UPS system. If I disconnect power to the UPS, it just switches over to battery backup and the power is uninterrupted. (!) Doh!

Is there a no-brainer way to allow the controller to turn the MP40's on and off while still maintaining the battery back up features of the UPS? Hopefully somebody can save me having to reinvent this wheel...

Also posted this question in the Neptune Forum, as there may not be a Vortech solution...

Thanks.

LL

EcoTech Marine

.Registered Member
In a way by using the neptune and the UPS you're sort of already re-inventing the wheel because our battery backup system will power the pump in the event of a power outage for longer than an UPS and our wave driver has modes which can turn the pump between min and max.

However, if you are trying to coordinate the flow with your closed loop than I can understand your desire. Unfortunately, we do not currently have a means to accomplish what you are going for.

Lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
Premium Member
That's what I thought, Tim.

What I might do is use the Vortech controller independently - I can decrease flow to the Vortechs to minimum, and just time the controller to turn the CL on at the same times... I'll look into that as a potential solution...

I already have the UPS, thus my decision to go that route - at least for the time being. Basically I just use battery backup for the 30 minutes or so before my emergency generator can be placed into service...

I do LOVE the MP40's - several people have remarked, "Are those powerheads the only flow you have in your (96"x36"x25.5") tank?"

The answer is YES (until I get the CL in line)... Folks are amazed with the movement I get with the two Vortechs...

Thanks!

LL

Last edited:

mray

I just wanted to bump this up because I was wondering whether a simulated sine wave would damage the pump. I'm guessing no because the adapter changes the ac current to dc before it reaches the pumps. Is that right?

Lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15454395#post15454395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mray
I just wanted to bump this up because I was wondering whether a simulated sine wave would damage the pump. I'm guessing no because the adapter changes the ac current to dc before it reaches the pumps. Is that right?

It should have no affect on the pump - for the reason you stated. The pump runs on DC. Unless the UPS sine wave changes the purity of the DC from the adaptor, it shouldn't matter...

Maybe Tim can chime in on this point...

LL