MSX250 vs Deltec APF600 for a 180

Harry_Fish

In Memoriam
I am looking for a new skimmer for my new 180
I have mostly Softies, LPS, and Fish

I'm looking at the MSX250 and the Deltec APF600

I have only ever run Deltec skimmers and have been quite pleased with them.

Am I wasting the extra $$$ on the Deltec, since it is my
understanding LPS and Softies like the water a little dirtier?

Thank you

The MSX250 is a far more powerful skimmer than the APF600. You are talking a 10" body skimmer Vs a 5" body. 2000 LPH Vs 500 LPH air. I would compare the MSX250 more toward an AP702.

That being said, the AP will be a more "set it and forget it" skimmer than the MSX.

I had the APF600 on a 150 and it did great but my bioload was medium at best. For a 180 it wouldn't be enough if you plan on stocking and/or feeding heavily.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14166474#post14166474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Philwd
I had the APF600 on a 150 and it did great but my bioload was medium at best. For a 180 it wouldn't be enough if you plan on stocking and/or feeding heavily.

What would your suggestion be?

My experience is on a clean low nutrient SPS tank. If you never plan on going SPS you may be fine staying with the Deltec.

I wanted to stock more heavily and also plan on going to a form of carbon dosing or probiotic method. I had a great deal on an ATB small cone come my way I couldn't pass up. It easily outskims the APF.

If you like the APF600, you should take a look at the H&S A150-F2001. It uses the same AB 2000/1 pump, but has a larger 6" body. is built a bit better and costs less than the Deltec.

Back