Muriatic Acid to Clean Aquarium?

If you don't make a very concentrated solution, fume are not an issue. I was curing concrete rock and the PH was at least 8.8-probably higher. IIRC, I added 1/2 cup muriatic acid to 800 gallons water and it knocked the PH down to 6 something.
Vinegar has a PH of about 3. The next time I need to clean with acid, I'm going to start off with a tablespoon in a gallon of water and check the PH.

Ever notice that so many of the most incredibly useful things are also dangerous?

Mature or not he is talking a week which means a sleeping scenario with fumes around.
NOT a good idea.
Pool cleaners are outdoors.

I'm going to be gone most of the week. However, I have decided to go with about 10-12 gallons of vinegar for the week. Still going to have a couple four legged fur balls in the house and really don't want to risk it. If it doesn't work, I'll add more vinegar when I get back. If that doesn't work, I'll bribe strong friends with beer and pizza and pull the tank off the wall so I can get to the back glass and hit it with a scraper.

Got the sand out and finished draining the tank last night. First pick is the tank on Friday evening. Second pic is a close up of the back of the tank. Third pic is a used sump I picked up on Friday with a brand new-in-box Mag 3. I will be hooking that up tonight and adding the 20 gallons of vinegar to the tank and filling it back up. I will let it run this week while I am at MACNA. Hopefully, when I get back on Sunday, I can clean it on Monday with no problems and drain it again to start my conversion.

What I do is put the tank on its back and poor in vinegar until it almost spills out. When that side is clean I turn it to one of the ends and so on. This way I do not have to use a ton of vinegar.

Cleaning it now. Algae is coming off fairly easily. Got some new scraper blades at MACNA. I'm using a medium length Kent Marine scraper and one of the long handled Continuum scrapers.

Tank when I got home from MACNA last night.

Slowly draining and cleaning as I go.

Keep in mind that you cannot pour bleach into a vinegar (or any acid) solution. You'd previously mentioned bleaching the tank after you'd acid cleaned it - if you decide that's necessary, you'll need to completely drain and rinse the tank, or neutralize the vinegar with lye before using the bleach.

No need for the bleach. It's drained down to about a quarter inch. Will shop vac out the rest tomorrow. Vinegar soak was more than enough.

I haul truck loads of hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) for a living everyday. So, I always have small bottles of it at home. It's typically a 36% solution with water. It might be more dilute on the store shelf. I just cleaned the tank I use for my sump with it a couple of weeks ago. 8oz bottle mixed with about a gallon of water in a bucket. I used a scrubby sponge and some gloves, and the mineral and algae buildup comes right off. Tank looks new now. No fumes or smells with it that diluted. I hope that helps anyone else considering it.

Back