My 1075 gallon display build

blfuller123

Premium Member
I guess the third times a charm. This will be the last tank I build. This is the 3rd "large tank" I will have built and I got the acrylic today. As soon as I finish the 600 ( http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1211124 ) and get it out of the garage, I will start on it. The tank will be a FOWLR. The tank will be 96x72x36 and it will have a single external overflow across the back. It will be a slow process to build, but I will keep this thread updated.

Here is all it is now, 4 sheets of 1.25 inch thick acrylic that are 96x72 inches. It was all we could do to move these things with just two of us.( Thanks James). I will have to have someone help with just about every step of this tank being built. Each sheet weighs about 300 pounds.

jslydi.jpg

Damn dropping some coin on the thick stuff. Price really goes up fast ater 1".

Thats gonna be a BIG boy, hope you know what your in for!

Brett is going to use the #40 Two part from what he said today. Nice to see you got a thread going allready. Im glad the Acrylic is in your garage and I dont have to lift it any more. I'm going to feel it in my back all week. Beer time!

Now get my tank and skimmer done,so you can start on this beast. :)

I cant believe how much these weigh. After moving these into the garage yesterday, I think I am going to build some small dollys to move these sheets around. Even with two people and a furniture dolly, these things are a lot of work to move. I have to cut two of these in half for the sides. Hopefully cutting them in half will make them a little more manageable. I shouldnt need more than one person until I have to flip it. Then I will be looking for about 4 people minium. Once the tank is finished, getting it on a stand will probabaly need a lot of people of a small forklift.

I guess I could make the bottom out of 0.75 inch thick material to make the tank a little lighter.

tanya72806-yea it has to be a FO. I would like to have a reef this size, but I dont think the wife would be happy with the electric bill. I will end up using T5 lights and it will be a lot easier than all the metal halides I would need.

I still have these so I guess eventually I will be building this tank. I was doing some measuring earlier and I think I have a wall to build this into. It will be between the formal dining room and the garage (kind of like I was going to do with the 500 in my last house.)

I am looking at setting up a smaller tank for now like a 240 until I get this thing built and get all the necessary equipment for it.

The plan is for this tank is to be a FOWLR as of now, but I sure think it would be cool to do a reef this size, but I dont want to have to use 8-12 400 watt bulbs. If I did do a reef, I was thinking I could put a row of 4 400 watt bulbs toward the center of the tank and maybe use a single 1000 watter on a motorized light mover...just thinking

I am building a huge skimmer for a buddy, if it turns out like we are thinking, I might duplicate it for this tank. Here are the beginings of it. It will be 18 inch dia reaction chamber and 80 inches tall. I got the tubing the other day and set it up next to another skimmer I have that is 12 inch dia and 38 inches tall for referance.

2yzc30h.jpg

Last edited:
Have you ever thought about solar tube or type of natural light? I think I am going to try and go that route on my next house. That is going to be a sweet skimmer. Are you planning on running a dart with a needle wheel?

B, Actually I think you could do it with ALOT less light then you think. If you make you rockscape as islands then you could use the MH just over the islands. Ans have T5's for supplimation inbetween plus also for LPS and such it would be less then you think

yeah say if you have 2 or 3 islands with 2 or 3 mh. Keeping the light away from the sides on a big tank like that will also help with clean algae of the sides. I look forward to seeing this monster come to life...

Back