My 112g is just about ready...

bobpiker

Well, it's taking me since December but I finally have everything in place. I have a 112g on a stand I recently finished putting together. These are on my first floor. In my basemet, I have my 40b sump, that was originally used as a closed-loop, plumbed using all of its existing back-drilled holes for inlet, outlet, and manifold input. I have a nice SWC 160 skimmer and am looking forward to starting this puppy up. I still need to soak for a couple of days my display (dual corners with Durso overflows) with some vinegar and water to hopefully remove some mineral haze that accumulated near the top before I bought it from its previous owner. Once that's done, I'll be startin' her up and cycling away. Once cycled, I'll be transferring the contens of my existing 55 long...assorted fish, anemones, and corals with as much existing 55 gallon tank water as I can.

I'll have some photos of the process as it moves along and will be looking forward to reading impressions of my setup. I have an external Velocity pump return with a calculated return of about 540 gallons per hour so I'll be adding a couple of good powerheads, too. Still trying to decide if I want to use the 2Hydors I have in my 55 along with a couple more or just spend some extra and buy 2 or 3 really good Tunze models. I'm planning on using my 48" Current Nova 6 bulb but I really want a nice 6 bulb ATI as funds permit.

I can hardly wait to get a couple of those fish I've always wanted but knew better than to put in a 55. How would an Emperor Angle do in a 112 gallon 60"?

Regards,
Bob

I use the current Nova extreme 6 bulb fixture, but replace all the bulbs with ATI. It seems to get the job done when it comes to growth. But I have this fixture on a 55.

Hello, I have this unit over my 55 now, too with stock bulbs. Itseems to do well and I hadn't thought about using ATI bulbs in it. I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob

Changing the bulbs will make a big difference over the stock ones. On my last tank I was running the 36" NEP and changed the stock blue bulbs out for ATI blue plus and PAR numbers went way up. The stock "blue" bulbs don't have very good PAR but the white bulbs are pretty good. I am sure that an GE 6500k or Aquablue special would still be better though.

I'm just now ordering a combination of ATI bulbs that were recommended by reefgeek. I'm looking forward to what I suspect will be great results over my stock bulbs.

Here's a quick shot of the 40B previously drilled for closed loop that I have setup for my sump. I just turned on my velocity T3 this morning and all is running well. I also setup 2 Dursos for my dual corner overflows in my 112g display. I took advantage of all but one of the closed loop's holes for plumbing. Below my sump, I have a 20 gallon I'm using as a mixing tank with an old 900gph pump. I plan to flip a valve in my plumbing that will allow my return pump to pump 15 gallons in 1 minute from my sump to a plumbed house drain pipe. Then, I'll flip the valve back and my return will go immedately back to pumping to my display. I have 3/4" tube from the 20's internal pump going back to the inlet chamber of my sump so that I can then put 15 gallons of mixed water back into my sump. It's all done and running so I hope I didn't make any mistakes here. I was trying to be clever and avoid having to carry buckets anymore. My rodi will also feed my 20 with water for topoff during the week before my weekly water change. Whatever rodi is still in my 20 after daily topff will be used when I add more rodi and salt for my weekly change.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4403&pictureid=30309

Last edited:
Not sure why the link doesn't come up because it is coming up for me ok. Thanks for your reply. It's nice to hear that from someone who has been around reefing for awhile like yourself. I'll be moving livestock once I've got my new tank cycled so I'm rather chompin' at the bit.

Best regards,
Bob

Been running sump and display for a week now with 40 lbs of araganite in the sump. Water is starting to clear up but I just received another 100lbs of new live sand that I'll be adding to my 112 today. Once my water clears up, I've got a couple of quarts of chaeto on the way and 3 Tunze pumps for my display. Each of the pumps push about 1700gph so I think it will be enough for my display for a 45x plus turnover. My goal is to move towards sps as I've got a bunch of softies already whch will be moved from my 55 after my 112 is all ready...hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

I'm enjoying putting all the pieces together from what I've learned from you experts in my last year on Reef Central. Thanks for all that I've learned and will continue to learn from you all as time goes on.

Bob

I got everything transfered from my 55 to my 112 about a month ago without losses. It was harder than I had anticipated moving rocks with corals attached in such a way as to combine them with new dry rock. I ended up breaking some monti caps but now I have more frags so all is ok. I strategically situated my rbta towards the front and, once again, he chose to move to the back. I'll leave him there and hope a split will move to the front one day. I'm lovin' the size increase and I know my fish are a lot happier with an extra foot of swimming room.

112done.jpg

Curious to what bulb combination they sold you? I am running 4 ATI blue pluses, 1 ATI aquablue special and a GE 6500k.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but will post some pictures of my mixed reef in a new thread.

George at Reefgeek made a couple of bulb combo suggestions and I went with:
3 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Aquablue Special
1 ATI Purple Plus
1 GE Daylight
I'm happy with the color...not too blue thanks to the GE Daylight but still just enough.

Back