My 240g FOWLR

Thanks. Yeah, people were all confused by this picture on Facebook, thinking they all live in as small a space as is captured by the camera. :rolleyes:

Uh, no....

12595858134_f235f1f1aa_c.jpg

Are the ocelattus no more? I'm on the hunt for those and a few other timid feeders.

Also, I may have a line on the c. Weibeli, if memory serves me correctly you were looking for one.

Are the ocelattus no more? I'm on the hunt for those and a few other timid feeders.

Also, I may have a line on the c. Weibeli, if memory serves me correctly you were looking for one.

Ocelattus were not really timid feeders, eventually, just only ate very certain foods (seafood meats, minced. Nothing with shells, like Mysis, and forget about dry foods). I lost the smaller one long ago to a Tunze, though I suspect he was slowly declining, since he never grew. The other one did very well, grew... but was lost when I lost several butterflies for an unknown reason in the span of several weeks (Of course, all the expensive or hard to find ones ones.... 2 declivis, burgessi, paucifasciatus, parachaetodon...) It was a rough time for me :(

As far as C. weibeli, PLEASE let me know. From what I've gathered, no wholesalers here source them... they basically show up accidentally once in a while.

What a great "problem" to have with all of the fish wanting food!! Setting up my 300 gallon and so excited to move my fish into their new home!!

Thanks. Only have seen pictures of smaller ones. Never seen one in person at all. Very nice!

Oh he's a beauty!! It's a shame he and the Misses got a divorce though, when they were moved into the 240g.

DSC05766-1.jpg

Quick update: A little sad today. I gave my regal angel up last night. I've had her for a while now (years) but saw that she really wasn't competing with the other fish very well, and slowly getting a bit thin. She went to a great home, where a couple other of my butterflies from a few years back, still reside :) . I know she'll be much happier there... in a peaceful, uncrowded tank.

TBH, the MI is likely next... if I can catch him (he's too tall for the trap). I just don't feel like he is thriving. He isn't skinny by any means, but he certainly isn't as fat as he once was (during his major growth phase), and competing for the food is tough with my other fish that seem to really have had a growth spurt. Plus, he never ever grows a trailing dorsal filament any more. That tells me he could be in a better setting.

Quick update: A little sad today. I gave my regal angel up last night. I've had her for a while now (years) but saw that she really wasn't competing with the other fish very well, and slowly getting a bit thin. She went to a great home, where a couple other of my butterflies from a few years back, still reside :) . I know she'll be much happier there... in a peaceful, uncrowded tank.

TBH, the MI is likely next... if I can catch him (he's too tall for the trap). I just don't feel like he is thriving. He isn't skinny by any means, but he certainly isn't as fat as he once was (during his major growth phase), and competing for the food is tough with my other fish that seem to really have had a growth spurt. Plus, he never ever grows a trailing dorsal filament any more. That tells me he could be in a better setting.

That's a bummer Peter, but at least you didn't let your pride get in the way of its health...

Peter did u notice any growth in your regal? Most threads I read about it say that they don't really grow in captivity. What's ur experience on that?

No change. Clarkii clowns plus one mag anemone. Gorg frags... So not inspired :(

Bit of a plumbing issue to report. For quite some time now I've noticed two strange things. 1. The flow from the return outlets seems weaker than I remember, and 2. the sump fills up a lot higher when the pumps are off (I never would have "cut it that close" when I calculated the design of the sump). After my last water change, I finally figured out what's going on (at least I think I have, because it's hard to see).

Basically, I think the return line inside the overflow has disconnected from the bulkhead somehow. So, instead of water returning up through the line inside the overflow, and out the return spouts sticking out of the overflow, it's just filling up the overflow and the disconnected return line, until it just slowly then flows out of the return spouts, and mostly just immediately goes back down the two durso drains. And when the pump is shut off, not only does the regular amount of water backflow into the sump, but so does the entire contents of the overflow, explaining the very full sump!

So, I've got a service guy coming out to fix the problem on Friday, since it's definitely not a one person job (I can't even remove the canopy without help :lol: )

Will keep you posted!

Actually pretty disappointing since this tank was plumbed by a "professional" :rolleyes:

Back