My 29g Rimless Bio Tank build

jfarris1976

Please keep in mind this has taken place over the course of a month...
This is how I received my tank
IMAG0385_zpsb1ad6c09.jpg

IMAG0386_zps00b9753f.jpg

After cleaning it out
IMAG0388_zpsc25a8638.jpg

I then had the brilliant idea of going rimless
IMAG0393_zpsc37e6d02.jpg

IMAG0394_zpscca24643.jpg

I got into a Group Buy with some guys in my local forums for some Evergrow IT 2040 LED's went with a DEEEEEEEEEP sand bed 40#'s White sand and 5#'s Black sand. Upgraded my return. Built DIY hanging arms for the LED's and here it is
IMAG0424_zps4b6fba1c.jpg

IMAG0426_zps57704903.jpg

The back is cut out for Fuge
IMAG0425_zpsfc529215.jpg

Lights mounted and on. I still need to do a few more things to secure the lights better but it works well for now
IMAG0428_zps27d5bd08.jpg

Sorry for the cloudy water but I had just put sand in that morning
IMAG0431_zps6ace6c1d.jpg

IMAG0429_zps4734478a.jpg

IMAG0430_zpsb276146c.jpg

A little closer shot of the bed
IMAG0432_zps2bd17e07.jpg

IMAG0434_zps51265a3e.jpg

IMAG0433_zps8ec13f2d.jpg

So please let me know what you think about the build so far and any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated

I would like to make it a full reef wife "The Boss" wants me to put GSP on the back wall and let it grow out so I told her I would. I like Zoas and would eventually like to get a Mandarin in there...eventually

Great start! Nice mods! Be carefully with the rock in the fuge. It might trap detritus and become a nitrate sink. I would just put some chaeto and let it tumble/grow. When it gets dense the pods will just live on the chaeto.

Thank you for the compliments Hubblebubble I made them from EMT conduit from Mernards.
lvreefer I know what you are saying about the LR but for right now I am running LR in it till I can get it cycled then will probably change it up.

ok so today as I was leaving for work UPS stops by and delivered a goody for the tank.
IMAG0456_zps7fcac2ce.jpg

I can't wait to get it in the tank. Picked up a Tunze 9002 skimmer and also ordered an INTANK cup for it also. Tank is cycled and got a CUC in there doin what they do.

Does the skimmer fit next to the media basket in middle chamber or is it going in 1st chamber?

If in 1st, heater in third?? I'm concerned about putting a heater in the third due to the low water level in there.....even if it's kept at the maximum level line.

Here's how it fits
intankset_zps1baf6625.jpg

FishWrangler they also make a fuge basket that sits next to it if you don't use a skimmer and I use the INTANK cup for my Tunze so it's exactly like this in my bio

Looking good.

How easy was it to get the rim off? What did you do? I've read a few things online that say it's pretty straightforward, no mess.

Thank you ya my hands hurt for a couple days afterwards. Took a little hacksaw to the back where it meets the fuge cut into plastic there and took razorblades and worked thru the silicone underneath which was the worst part and broke top off in pieces.

FishWrangler they also make a fuge basket that sits next to it if you don't use a skimmer and I use the INTANK cup for my Tunze so it's exactly like this in my bio

ah..so it does fit next to the media basket (I have the same basket).

that's brings up 2 questions...

1. Do you use an ATO to keep water levels constant in chamber 2? I've read skimmers need consistent levels to work properly. So far my evaporation is less than 1/2 g week since I have the stock top on so it's pretty easy to maintain but it's still fluctuates some.

2. Will the Tunze in chamber 2 fit under the stock biocube top?

If you go that route then no fuge next to the media basket in chamber 2...something that I'm considering in the future as well.

FishWrangler I do not use an ATO but I would like to get one. I lose around a gal every other day due to evap because of not having a lid. The skimmer will not fit under the hood even with the INTANK cup. Lastly the media basket and skimmer (like I have), or fuge basket and skimmer, or media basket and fuge basket go together in back. Whichever way you choose. You can't go wrong. I'm thinking if you are keeping your stock hood then media and fuge basket may be best. I have enough LR in tank that I don't really need more in the back.

edit...

I will start my own thread on my filtration instead of high jacking your build. Great job so far jfarris1976!

Last edited:
Back