My 3month old Euro-Reef RS135 died today

xenon

Owner of Canada Corals
I have been noticing that every time I turn on the skimmer after cleaning the collection cup that the pump makes a grinding noise and does not produce any bubbles. It just pumps water into the chamber. The only way to make the noise go away was to blow air into the air tube.

This was working just fine for the last few weeks and I figured it’s because the pump was dirty and needed a cleaning soon.

Today it did the same thing and blowing air made no difference. I figured I would take it apart and clean the hell out of it and when I put it back together it made no difference. I even replaced the air line with brand new tubing.

I should have bought a Deltec. :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9885579#post9885579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by unclereefer
what is the warranty on a euroReef skimmer?

Not sure but I hope it's longer than 3months :p

did you try to take the impeller out? one of my sedras had a swollen magnet on it once , Ive heard it happening to other people also

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9885917#post9885917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shag26272
did you try to take the impeller out? one of my sedras had a swollen magnet on it once , Ive heard it happening to other people also

Yep.

The internals seem fine.

It's acting un-ballenced. It's not sucking much water in or pushing much out with tons of griding noises.

Last edited:
mine did the exact same thing , it turned out it was the impeller , it was warped as xenon stated, sometimes you cant see it, mine lasted longer though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9886171#post9886171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MplsMan
mine did the exact same thing , it turned out it was the impeller , it was warped as xenon stated, sometimes you cant see it, mine lasted longer though.

impeller?

Would that be the ceramic rod?

Another thing you might think about - is the skimmer in water that is too deep? The pump may not have enough power to pull air that deep into the water. Blowing on it to start gives it enough flow to begin pulling air.

Robbie

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9886622#post9886622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RWillieK
Another thing you might think about - is the skimmer in water that is too deep? The pump may not have enough power to pull air that deep into the water. Blowing on it to start gives it enough flow to begin pulling air.

Robbie

i agree as well. should be between 6-8 inches of water

if not contact chip at euro reef i think its a year on them

The skimmer has always been raised so that the body is 7" in the water so that has nothing to do with it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9886328#post9886328 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xenon
impeller?

Would that be the ceramic rod?

The ceramic rod is just referred to as the shaft :)

The impeller is the plastic pinwheel.

If you can, take the impeller/magnet out and see if the impeller is spinning on the magnet, or if it's still fixed solid.

If we can't help you get it up and running, I'm sure Chip at ER will get you dialed in next week.

Jim

Go back to the dealer you bought your skimmer from for help or call ER at the USA #. If defective, I'm sure they will take care of it. If not, they should be able to get you up and running fast.

I had the same issue with my 135. I had to put my fingers over the impeller intake to "jump start it" and it would work fine. I contacted ER and they said it was probably a bad magnet and sent me another one for free which corrected the problem. I believe the warranty is for one year, Hope this helps.

Back