My 54 corner build

damac20

Come along for this wonderful journey as I build my 54 corner tank! I bought a 54 corner off a local reefer recently to put in my home office. When I bought it, it came with a brown wood stand and wood trim around the tank. I am painting all of that black and building a DIY canopy.

Here is a pic of the stand before the paint job.
brownwoodstand.jpg

Shot with SCH-i910 at 2009-08-09[/IMG]

Then yesterday I built the shell of the canopy using 3/4 inch plywood and 2x4's. In the picture you can also see the roll of aluminum I am going to use for the skin of the canopy.

canopywithroll.jpg

Here is pic of the canopy shell mounted
canopyshellmounted.jpg

For lighting I am going to use a 250w MH with an icecap ballast. I am going to be running radium 20k bulbs I just love the color they put out.
canopymountedwithlightc.jpg

bottomupoflight.jpg

This morning I am going to mount the skin on the shell of the canopy. For the skin I am using roofing aluminum that I picked up at home depot. I chose this to give the tank a more modern look with clean lines. I am gluing it to the shell using some construction adhesive.
canopybeforeshell.jpg

Here it is all glued. Once it dries I will spray paint it black to match the rest of the tank.
canopywithshellunpainte.jpg

Tagging along! I have the same tank still setup as freshwater, and I'd love to see how you set this up! Looks great so far!

I added 3 powerbrite strips, these things are sweet! Great color.
powerbrites.jpg

Shot with SCH-i910 at 2009-08-29[/IMG]

I got some live rock today from world wide corals. Its 45 pounds of totoka rock. I like the way it looks tons of texture. I had never seen it prior to today.
liverockspreadout.jpg

I finally got water in the tank! Here is the first shot at the corner aquascape. I'm not so sure I've happy with it.
aquascape1.jpg

Close up
aquascapecloseup.jpg

Looks great. Thanks for the step by step as I am sure you had fun with this project and very worthwhile.

Back